Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fontano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
I thought I posted this earlier, but I must not have hit submit or something...
Anyway...

I am looking to improve the performance of my Web Service calls to pull TEXT based data. We can easily turn on GZIP compression on the server (Apache servers).

The question though is, do I need to do anything special on the iPhone call, to allow it to receive and work with a GZIP compressed stream?

I am reading in a TEXT file (REST Service), and then parsing it out, similar to this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/593556/

Our early tests show the data stream compresses significantly, so we would like to take advantage of that. Especially since we have to account for Edge, 3G, WiFi connections and the changing data speeds.

Thanks

fenrus110

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
holy old thread revival!

I'm looking into something like this too. Our client is sending 600k worth of data to our app (no choice). He is suggesting to have the server send a gzip so only ~20k is sent, which the iPhone would deflate. The question is whether the iPhone SDK can work with this...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.