Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:21 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

AT&T Doesn't Support the Mac

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: AT&T Doesn't Support the Mac
Description:: Website to encourage Mac users to email AT%T president Ralph de la Vega to complain about the fact that their free wi-fi is unavailable to Mac laptop users.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:22 PM   #2
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
99% of the time I won't link to blogs because the content is often questionable at best, but this seemed interesting to me. Why would Apple partner with AT&T on the iPhone if AT&T isn't willing to support Apple's other computer efforts?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:28 PM   #3
gilkisson
macrumors 65816

Location: Myrtle Beach, Horry County (do not pronounce the "H"), South Cacalaki
AT&T is being wrong, obtuse, and pig-headed, for not supporting Macs.

Just like Apple is being equally pig-headed for refusing to support iTunes/iPhone on any version of Linux.
gilkisson is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:41 PM   #4
thed0000d
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilkisson View Post
AT&T is being wrong, obtuse, and pig-headed, for not supporting Macs.

Just like Apple is being equally pig-headed for refusing to support iTunes/iPhone on any version of Linux.

You can use your macbook pro as long as you use safari and click on the develop menu and use the 1.1.3 iphone browser. it works i tried it
thed0000d is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:59 PM   #5
floatingspirit
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingspirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
......Why would Apple partner with AT&T on the iPhone if AT&T isn't willing to support Apple's other computer efforts?
Wouldn't that be more Microsoft's style than Apple's?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:23 PM   #6
student101
macrumors member

I don't get it. I just went to Starbucks today and used their ATT hotspot. It worked just fine for me. I was using Safari on my white MacBook. I don't really understand what the issue is.
student101 is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:45 PM   #7
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
People don't understand that the free wi-fi is only supposed to be for use on the iPhone, not the computer. However, enabling the Developer menu in Safari, allows you to trick the system into thinking your computer is an iPhone.

TEG
Old Nov 4, 2008, 12:44 AM   #8
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Lol I didn't even know about the develop menu. That is, until I saw this thread. But AT&T not supporting macs is kinda of stupid.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 04:36 AM   #9
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by student101 View Post
I don't get it. I just went to Starbucks today and used their ATT hotspot. It worked just fine for me. I was using Safari on my white MacBook. I don't really understand what the issue is.
The keyword is support. Mac users don't really need that kind of hand holding anyways.
BornAgainMac is offline   0
Old Nov 4, 2008, 05:18 AM   #10
bassproguy07
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
99% of the time I won't link to blogs because the content is often questionable at best, but this seemed interesting to me. Why would Apple partner with AT&T on the iPhone if AT&T isn't willing to support Apple's other computer efforts?
sorry this is off topic, but mudbug seeing you name makes me want some crawfish!! I'm a little confused, are we just asking for wifi with an access card or free because it's a mac??
Old Nov 4, 2008, 06:15 AM   #11
tfrees
macrumors member

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
People don't understand that the free wi-fi is only supposed to be for use on the iPhone, not the computer. However, enabling the Developer menu in Safari, allows you to trick the system into thinking your computer is an iPhone.

TEG
How do you do this? I have a macbook and iphone, will it still work? If so, how do i do it?
tfrees is offline   0
Old Nov 4, 2008, 07:41 AM   #12
Porco
macrumors 68000

Apple doesn't support the iPhone on other phone networks, which sucks more.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion