Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:15 PM   #1
DUMBDOG
macrumors newbie

mobile terminal and root access?

is there a way to login as the root user rather than the mobile user? I would like to have access to certain commands that I dont have permission when using mobile terminal. So, i would like to get similar functionality on the phone directly like I get with ssh root@iphone from my mac. I often get the permissions denied error when using mobile terminal on the phone. Anything out there?
DUMBDOG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 07:47 AM   #2
DN7335
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMBDOG View Post
is there a way to login as the root user rather than the mobile user? I would like to have access to certain commands that I dont have permission when using mobile terminal. So, i would like to get similar functionality on the phone directly like I get with ssh root@iphone from my mac. I often get the permissions denied error when using mobile terminal on the phone. Anything out there?
I always log in as root. The default password for the root login is "alpine" though you should change it for security purposes once you're in.
DN7335 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 08:16 PM   #3
DUMBDOG
macrumors newbie

how do you login from the phone? I know how to login as root from my Mac, but not directly from the phone. When I open mobileTerminal I think it automatically has me as mobile. how do I then change to root?
DUMBDOG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:17 PM   #4
bradenwh
macrumors 6502

Root

When it logs you in as mobile, type login
Then type root
Then type alpine
And there. You are now logged in as root with all root privileges. =]
bradenwh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 08:50 AM   #5
DravenGSX
macrumors 6502

Or, if you're lazy and don't want to type that much. Type "su" at the prompt and press enter. Then enter the root password.
DravenGSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:28 PM   #6
MyMaria
macrumors newbie

Talking

wow! thanks for this... mac stuff sure amazes me every time.. everything's too simple and every time i discover something, i go.. "wow! why didn't i think of that?" you gotta love the mac!
MyMaria is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:03 PM   #7
foob
macrumors 6502

su is the normal method which uses a built-in shell command to switch users. Login launches a separate shell. Either works, but login is really overkill in this instance.

They're not really Mac features, they're 30 year old UNIX features.
foob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:46 AM   #8
dabomb1
macrumors newbie

Mobile Terminal

Mobile terminal won't let me type in the root password
dabomb1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks