Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DUMBDOG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
is there a way to login as the root user rather than the mobile user? I would like to have access to certain commands that I dont have permission when using mobile terminal. So, i would like to get similar functionality on the phone directly like I get with ssh root@iphone from my mac. I often get the permissions denied error when using mobile terminal on the phone. Anything out there?

DN7335

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
is there a way to login as the root user rather than the mobile user? I would like to have access to certain commands that I dont have permission when using mobile terminal. So, i would like to get similar functionality on the phone directly like I get with ssh root@iphone from my mac. I often get the permissions denied error when using mobile terminal on the phone. Anything out there?

I always log in as root. The default password for the root login is "alpine" though you should change it for security purposes once you're in.

DUMBDOG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
how do you login from the phone? I know how to login as root from my Mac, but not directly from the phone. When I open mobileTerminal I think it automatically has me as mobile. how do I then change to root?

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Root

When it logs you in as mobile, type login
Then type root
Then type alpine
And there. You are now logged in as root with all root privileges. =]

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Or, if you're lazy and don't want to type that much. Type "su" at the prompt and press enter. Then enter the root password.

MyMaria

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
wow! thanks for this... mac stuff sure amazes me every time.. everything's too simple and every time i discover something, i go.. "wow! why didn't i think of that?" :p you gotta love the mac!

foob

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2009
su is the normal method which uses a built-in shell command to switch users. Login launches a separate shell. Either works, but login is really overkill in this instance.

They're not really Mac features, they're 30 year old UNIX features.

Reactions: Oberhorst
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.