Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:37 PM   #1
JW8725
Banned

Will Bush be tried for war crimes?

Now that President Obama is about to take over, how soon before the Hague calls for Bush to be tried?
JW8725 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:38 PM   #2
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Won't happen

Woof, Woof - Dawg
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:39 PM   #3
iShater
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW8725 View Post
Now that President Obama is about to take over, how soon before the Hague calls for Bush to be tried?
Never.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:40 PM   #4
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Should be, but won't.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:41 PM   #5
és:
Banned

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
In a word... No.
és: is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:41 PM   #6
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

It should happen but it won't not least because the US doesn't recognise the World Court.
Peterkro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:06 PM   #7
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
He'd be able to plead "permanent insanity!"
Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:11 AM   #8
squeeks
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to squeeks
gonna have to try all of them senators (cough, hillary) who approved the war as well
Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:37 AM   #9
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeks View Post
gonna have to try all of them senators (cough, hillary) who approved the war as well
Who gave the orders?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:48 AM   #10
ghall
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to ghall
Not gonna happen I'm afraid.
ghall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:50 AM   #11
MacNut
macrumors P6

I would think that Obama would say the same thing Ford said, we need to move on and a trial won't solve anything.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:56 AM   #12
flyinmac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit View Post
Who gave the orders?
A President cannot act alone. He can say to do something, but without backing from the other branches of Government, it will not happen. So, the order has to be given collectively or nothing will happen.

If you consider him guilty, then you have to consider those who backed him guilty as well.

And, since Obama has cast votes which helped continue the Iraq war, you'd have to put him on trial also.

A President is not the final say. A President without backing is nothing more than a guy with a fancy title.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:59 AM   #13
JW8725
Banned

Slobodan Milosevic comes to mind. He was tried so why not Bush?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 01:04 AM   #14
Beric
macrumors 68020

All the presidents of the previous century would have had to be tried as well.
iPod touch 4G 64GB
Beric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 01:12 AM   #15
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Slobodan Milosevic comes to mind. He was tried so why not Bush?
Slobodan Milosevic was the leader of a tiny country in the Balkans. GWB is the leader of the USA.

Think about it.
Ugg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 01:14 AM   #16
nanofrog
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
I would think that Obama would say the same thing Ford said, we need to move on and a trial won't solve anything.
Realistic I think.
nanofrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 01:18 AM   #17
mactastic
macrumors 68040

One can only hope!

I doubt he'll ever be tried here. But I also suspect that there will be several members of the Bush administration who will have to be careful where they travel in the future...

And for those saying that Democrats and all past presidents would also have to be tried -- Bush could be tried on the torture issue alone. Congress passed nothing on torture. Congress was kept in the dark about the torture. Past presidents did not torture captives.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 01:31 AM   #18
JW8725
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
Slobodan Milosevic was the leader of a tiny country in the Balkans. GWB is the leader of the USA.

Think about it.
Yup I did, same ****** different smell came to mind. Months, years down the line people are going to call for his head.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 01:33 AM   #19
flyinmac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactastic View Post
Past presidents did not torture captives.
Yeah right... Because in the 200+ year history of our country we have never before tortured those we held captive to gain information.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 01:37 AM   #20
Beric
macrumors 68020

Quote:
And for those saying that Democrats and all past presidents would also have to be tried -- Bush could be tried on the torture issue alone. Congress passed nothing on torture. Congress was kept in the dark about the torture. Past presidents did not torture captives.
I debate that waterboarding is even torture. Regardless, we use it on our own soldiers far more than on enemies, just to get them used to what might happen to them if they ever were captured.
iPod touch 4G 64GB
Old Nov 5, 2008, 01:39 AM   #21
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yup I did, same ****** different smell came to mind. Months, years down the line people are going to call for his head.
Yeah, I think maybe later it will happen, right now though, I'm more worried about all the law's he's dismantling. I have really come to hate this period between the election and the inauguration. It really needs to be shortened so the outgoing president can't do so much damage.
Ugg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 01:41 AM   #22
Beric
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
Yeah, I think maybe later it will happen, right now though, I'm more worried about all the law's he's dismantling. I have really come to hate this period between the election and the inauguration. It really needs to be shortened so the outgoing president can't do so much damage.
To me, it just seems like it's time wasted. The outgoing president can't do much of anything, nor can the incoming president.
iPod touch 4G 64GB
Old Nov 5, 2008, 01:55 AM   #23
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
Won't happen

Woof, Woof - Dawg
Yep, MacDawg is correct. The political consequences would be dire, the trial a circus at best, and the ultimate objective would remain unfulfilled.

Quote:
One can only hope!

I doubt he'll ever be tried here. But I also suspect that there will be several members of the Bush administration who will have to be careful where they travel in the future...

I think that Alberto Gonzalez and John Yoo might want to tread very carefully in the future, but again, even the Hague understands there would be political fallout for such an action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beric View Post
I debate that waterboarding is even torture. Regardless, we use it on our own soldiers far more than on enemies, just to get them used to what might happen to them if they ever were captured.
Yes, but why do we do this as part of SERE training? Also, you should understand the psychological implications of having an enemy do it as opposed to someone who is trying to train you.

Lastly, name some other modern users of water-boarding. You'll note such luminaries as the Gestapo and the Japanese Army in World War II, and by Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. It was also used against US POWs in Vietnam.

You should also note in your lawyering on torture that during the Nuremberg trials Nazi officials were tried for such crimes, although I believe they referred to it as "dripping."

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues