Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjcaguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
Okay, so I'm setting up a wireless network to stretch from my house to my neighbors house (super close by...small houses in a college town). The reception is not great next door at their place, and we're trying to find a cheap way to improve it.

The question is this: they have a standard AirPort Base Station which they aren't using (in a closet...so sad), and I'm wondering if there is a way to use it to boost the signal or function as a repeater of sorts. Does this make sense? Basically, I'm wondering if it has an ability to pull the signal from my house and improve it somehow for inside their house.

I'd appreciate any help on the matter. Thanks!

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC

Attachments

• 9142-qusd-1.jpg
    9142-qusd-1.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 2,001

mystixman

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2002
USA
you can use it as a repeater. just set up the second airport to connect to the internet via WDS to the first airport.

sjcaguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
Originally posted by mystixman
you can use it as a repeater. just set up the second airport to connect to the internet via WDS to the first airport.

was this in response to my question, or the post regarding the antenna? if i CAN use the base station as a repeater, that would be awesome. does it make any difference that the router at my house is not an AirPort Base Station? It's a linksys router...

Thanks for your help!

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
Originally posted by sjcaguy
was this in response to my question, or the post regarding the antenna? if i CAN use the base station as a repeater, that would be awesome. does it make any difference that the router at my house is not an AirPort Base Station? It's a linksys router...

Thanks for your help!

Only if you have a static IP. I think you have to lock in the basestation to a IP address that dosn't change

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.