Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
XLR8YourMac.com is running a story that reveals that the new iBooks, based on the PowerPC 750FX CPU (the IBM "Sahara"), can be overclocked in software. Whereas the bus speed/multiplier of previous G3's was set by resistors, this new G3 allows configuration via a CPU register. A user installed Apple's CHUD tools on his iBook 700 and was able to get it running at 800MHz. There seems a possibility, with more documentation, that even higher clockspeeds could be obtained. Great news for all daring owners of the new iBooks.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
now that's something new...overclocking without actually altering the hardware...

so does this mean that it can be reversed...thus preventing voided warranty?

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by eyelikeart
now that's something new...overclocking without actually altering the hardware...

so does this mean that it can be reversed...thus preventing voided warranty?
It reverts back to the original clockspeed at reboot. A little app run at boottime could easily be written to upclock the system with each reboot. Though temperature is a concern in laptops, always. This new G3 takes less power and runs cooler that previous, similarly clocked units however.

blakespot

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Can something like this be done to the new TiBooks too??? Just wondering if it can, or if it can only be done to the iBookers... :D

I wouldn't mind trying it out on my TiBook, but would like to hear if anyone has done it before I do.

i book

would this work on the 2001 i book model (500 mhz, firewire) as well or would it be limited to the higher end models
i bought my iBook as soon as they came out and i could only wish i had waited until i could get a faster one for less $ ( i paid 2000) and its only 500 mhz. if not oh well mine works nicely.
:confused:

also does anyone know the specs of the next AirPort relese?

Originally posted by blakespot

It reverts back to the original clockspeed at reboot. A little app run at boottime could easily be written to upclock the system with each reboot. Though temperature is a concern in laptops, always. This new G3 takes less power and runs cooler that previous, similarly clocked units however.
if anyone can write this app. could they put it on their iDisk, im not much of a programer but i would love to take advantage of the speed boost
if so thanks
-royal

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: i book

Originally posted by Royal Pineapple
would this work on the 2001 i book model (500 mhz, firewire) as well or would it be limited to the higher end models
As the article states, it works on iBook sporting the new PowerPC 750FX (G3 "Sahara"), which only the new 2002 iBook have (600 & 700MHz).

blakespot

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by AlphaTech
Can something like this be done to the new TiBooks too??? Just wondering if it can, or if it can only be done to the iBookers... :D

I wouldn't mind trying it out on my TiBook, but would like to hear if anyone has done it before I do.
Only the new G3 "Sahara" CPU has this functionality in the Apple line, at present. Perhaps another iteration of the G4 or the G5 would allow this as well.

blakespot

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
This is certifiably :eek: weird. Does any other processor chip do this sort of thing?
There is an application for the Compaq iPAQ handheld, based on the StrongARM SA1100, basically the same chip that was used in the Newton MP2x00, that allows it to be over(or under)clocked to a range of clockspeeds. I am not sure it was a combination of the CPU and the manner in which it was tied to the unit in general that allowed this--all Windows CE PocketPC's have (wisely) moved to this CPU, but I am uncertain if they all can benefit from this manner of simple overclocking through software.

StrongARM -- that's quite a CPU.

blakespot

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA

Only the new G3 "Sahara" CPU has this functionality in the Apple line, at present. Perhaps another iteration of the G4 or the G5 would allow this as well.

Figures... maybe someone will figure out a way to do that with a new TiBook as well. Stranger things have been known to happen... :D

Zaren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2000
Reggie?

What is this Reggie? I installed the dev tools, but I have no such app on my machine.

-----
Apple hardware still too expensive for you? How about a raffle ticket?

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Also the Dragonball

The Dragonball (68k derivative) from Motorola can be changed in software as well. I had a lil app called AfterBurner that did this on my Palm V.

The speed change was definately noticeable in scrolling speed and more intensive games (Argon V for example).

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
And the obvious reason for this is...

Dynamic performance tweaking for saving battery life. Encoding MP3 or exporting iMovies? Jack up the CPU. Working in a word processor and turn down the speed.

Lots of Apple portables have done this before, this seems to be a more accessable way to do it tho instead of the limited Energy Saver control panel.

Its also an easy way to alter hardware to be faster/slower models all by software config instead of physical changes.

Geeze is this ever gonna P.O. some of the "Apple is holding back performance to charge more" crowd.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
THIS IS GREAT!

I don't have an ibook because i prefer the G4 Ti, but i love that Apple is finally getting more consumer friendly with its actions:

More frequent updates to models (they are faster to upgrade now)
Reactive to market interest (eMac)
Allowing people to change the clock speed on their Mac laptop (hope this leads to more)

All i want now is 64 mb graphics on the top of the line powerbook.
if it costs more, i want more in it other than ram, HD space and a chip mhz increase

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: And the obvious reason for this is...

Originally posted by Sayer
Geeze is this ever gonna P.O. some of the "Apple is holding back performance to charge more" crowd.
Some, but not the sharp ones.

The CPU in the iBook 600 is spec'ed at 600MHz by Motorola. The iBook 700 has a CPU spec'ed at 700MHz. Could they be overclocked a bit? Likely--but they were not tested for speeds greater than the stated speeds. So there's no guarantee. Apple is most definitely not purchasing, say, 800MHz G3's and downclocking them to 700MHz for some incomprehensible reason nor are they (or would they or any other respectable hardware manufacturer) going to take a chip and clock it over it's spec'ed rating and sell it as a standard machine running at the higher speed.

blakespot

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Software

Is it really so amazing to overclock a computer via software in some way?

You could look at this as accessing the CPU at a low level in the same way that Windows users do via the BIOS. Virtually all of my PC-using friends have overclocked their celerons at one time or another.

Nice to see that people are squeezing more out of the Sahara though.

Someone mentioned last week that they had overclocked the bus speed of their 500MHz iBook to 100MHz. Anyone know how to do this...?

Rocketman

macrumors 603

blakespot

What's cool about this is if it generally works it could become a popular and reliable free download. Better than an easter egg. The overheating issue matters. Is changing chips trivial? :)

I would investigate other hacks on other books. Is there a mac hack site for, say all mods available for a G4 ti? If so the webmaster or an agent could accept CPU's for upgrade and collect a fee for it.

Rocketman

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: And the obvious reason for this is...

Originally posted by Sayer
Dynamic performance tweaking for saving battery life. Encoding MP3 or exporting iMovies? Jack up the CPU. Working in a word processor and turn down the speed.

The TiG4 already supports this feature. It is in the sleep menu. The questiojn becomes higher and lower options or perhaps "smart CPU usage" software.

Rocketman

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
OC ibook 500

Royal Pineapple and Dune.

The iBook 500 IS overclockable. I've got one and...well i haven't done it YET. I'm waiting til schools out and I'm on summer break...oh wait thats tomorrow! So I'll let you know how it works when I do it this week or next...or next...or whenver I get to it around my lazy summer. Well if you want to do it yourself (soldering required) check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com they've got a ton of stuff on it. A guy named Tycho did it and posted a step by step. Obviously voids ur warranty, but hey, 600Mhz and 100Mhz bus. Why not!

Re: OC ibook 500

Originally posted by Bradcoe

The iBook 500 IS overclockable. I've got one and...well i haven't done it YET. I'm waiting til schools out and I'm on summer break...oh wait thats tomorrow! So I'll let you know how it works when I do it this week or next...or next...or whenver I get to it around my lazy summer. Well if you want to do it yourself (soldering required) check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com they've got a ton of stuff on it. A guy named Tycho did it and posted a step by step. Obviously voids ur warranty, but hey, 600Mhz and 100Mhz bus. Why not!

i have read about this overclocking and i have decided that i dont have enough experteice to phisically change something in my laptop, plus i just purchased the APP (apple protection plan) for $300 and i wouldnt want to void the warrinty. if anyone figures out how to OC it w/ software i would be more than intrested
-royal

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Speaking of processors that can be overclocked without modifying hardware, the pc side has had one for a while, starting with the celeron (celery?) 300A (300Mhz) that was overclockable to 450Mhz by upping the bus speed of the processor from 66Mhz to 100Mhz from the BIOS (I actually got one of those and they worked great. Apparently, 85% of those chips were perfectly stable at that insane overclocked speed). Nowadays, you can still overclock the bus, but if you get an older Athlon Tbird, it's possible to modify it to accept changes to both its bus speed and its modifier through the BIOS. Oh, I also forgot graphics cards--there's a utility for the pc called powerstrip that can overclock practically any graphics card from the Nvidia TNT2 up inside of windoze. It was pretty cool--for a windoze program.
Just my 2cents.
-t

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.