Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkramb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
what format do movies need to be in to watch them using front row or quick time? I have several ripped movies that will not open in front row or quicktime. In order to watch them i have to use vlc. i would love to be able to just click the videos and have them open in quicktime. if i need to change the format, how do i do this?

jkramb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Have you installed Perian? Have you tried Plex?

im not really sure what those things are. im pretty inexperienced at this stuff.

Also, is there a way to change the icons in my movie folder so that the cover of the dvd is the icon? similar to the way it is in itunes.

Lord of Sound

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
There are many video formats Quick Time/Front Row support.
General standard is Mpeg-4, is supported by most programs/devises you can find. If you want to convert your video library you'll need a video converter.
I use Prism - intuitive, easy to use and fast program.
Here's a link for you: http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/prismmac.zip

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I don't know if I'd use that Prism software, but I know that HandBrake is reliable and speedy. I use it to convert all my video whenever I need to do so.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Looks pretty weak, especially since it costs money. Why on earth would anyone choose this over Handbrake?

There are many video formats Quick Time/Front Row support.
General standard is Mpeg-4, is supported by most programs/devises you can find. If you want to convert your video library you'll need a video converter.
I use Prism - intuitive, easy to use and fast program.
Here's a link for you:

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I'm not entirely certain that user isn't a bot/spammer, because both of his two posts advertise software. Not that pointing out a piece of software is a bad thing, but both of your first two posts? Fishy to me.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
what format do movies need to be in to watch them using front row or quick time? I have several ripped movies that will not open in front row or quicktime. In order to watch them i have to use vlc. i would love to be able to just click the videos and have them open in quicktime. if i need to change the format, how do i do this?

Front Row can play back any of the video formats that QuickTime can, plus VIDEO_TS folders. If you install Perian (a set of codecs for Quick Time) like Cave Man said, then you will be able to play just about any video format you are likely to come across. For an even better media solution, albeit one with a steeper learning curve, you can install Plex, a port of XBMC.

The HandBrake app people are talking about converts from most video formats and VIDEO_TS folders to mpeg4. It's a great piece of software and its free.

Drumdevil00

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011
Perian worked great

Perian worked great...fast easy download from their site and Front Row is now playing all my video formats except old WMAs, but VLC plays that. Not concerned about converting those lol.

Thanks for the heads up on Perian! I'll check out Handbrake in the future. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.