Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raz32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
From Iphoto? My Iphoto is mostly organized by date OK, but when I did the full (keeping files in same location) import, I found it confusing as to where and how they were organized in Aperture once brought over. Do you guys think I should just make folders and bring over specific photos to work with and then just bring in new shots from now on? Or should I bring the whole library over (4K photos) and figure out the interface view better (still new at this) so that it makes more sense where everything is. To be clear, I just don't seem to understand the view interface in aperture and how it relates to Iphoto. In Iphoto, regardless of what the EVENT is named, I can just scroll down events easily because everything is organized by date. In Aperture, the folders seemed to be all over the place and I couldn't relate to what was what. That's why I thinking of just bringing over some but would rathher have all if it is easier to understand what is what.... thanks.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
From Iphoto? My Iphoto is mostly organized by date OK, but when I did the full (keeping files in same location) import, I found it confusing as to where and how they were organized in Aperture once brought over. Do you guys think I should just make folders and bring over specific photos to work with and then just bring in new shots from now on? Or should I bring the whole library over (4K photos) and figure out the interface view better (still new at this) so that it makes more sense where everything is. To be clear, I just don't seem to understand the view interface in aperture and how it relates to Iphoto. In Iphoto, regardless of what the EVENT is named, I can just scroll down events easily because everything is organized by date. In Aperture, the folders seemed to be all over the place and I couldn't relate to what was what. That's why I thinking of just bringing over some but would rathher have all if it is easier to understand what is what.... thanks.

Here is what I'd do....

First just import a few hundred photos from iPhoto and play with Aperure. When you are done delete everything. Do this a few times. You need to learn Aperture BEFORE you make a big switch over. Also be sure and watch all the tutorial videos on Apple's web site and do read the user manual.

Now that you are more familiar with Aperture you can make the switch.

The best advice is to let Aperure manage your files. Put ALL the image files INSIDE the Aperure library. Importing from Iphoto is easy because Aperure has a "import iPhoto library" button. Just click it and all the files will be pulled over.

Next you may want to do some organization. Aperture allow you much greater flexibity. You can have projects inside folders and folders inside projects and you can have both smart and dumb albums. Make full use ofthis.

I use the "project" roughly the way iPhoto uses "events". I think most people do this, make a project the same as a "shoot" or "session" or "asignmant" of "job" and then organize all the projects.

Aperture keeps all your image files inside it's library, no need to worry where these files are physically, just worry about the logical organization.

raz32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks for the advice....

Appreciate you taking the time. Seems like a solid plan. But to be clear, in the end you think I should move all the files over and blow out Iphoto, right? Not keep in same location. Makes sense, just want to be clear.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Appreciate you taking the time. Seems like a solid plan. But to be clear, in the end you think I should move all the files over and blow out Iphoto, right? Not keep in same location. Makes sense, just want to be clear.

It depends. Are there any features from iPhoto you will use in the future? Do you make photo books, calendars? Books you can make in Aperture too, but not calendars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.