Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
if we can have widescreen email apps why cant we have widescreen texting apps? anybody have an explanation?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
if we can have widescreen email apps why cant we have widescreen texting apps? anybody have an explanation?

Because Apple doesn't like the widescreen keyboard. It doesn't matter if YOU like it, because that's not the point. The point is, they don't like it.

So why have it at all? It exists because of apps that have to have a sideways mode, like Safari. The web has to be able to rotate sideways. So how will you type on it? Well they had to have a sideways keyboard. They were forced into it.

But texting? That program doesn't rotate so there's no reason they're forced to put a sideways keyboard. So they have a choice. And given the choice...well, they don't like the sideways keyboard!

It's as simple as that.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Because Apple doesn't like the widescreen keyboard. It doesn't matter if YOU like it, because that's not the point. The point is, they don't like it.

So why have it at all? It exists because of apps that have to have a sideways mode, like Safari. The web has to be able to rotate sideways. So how will you type on it? Well they had to have a sideways keyboard. They were forced into it.

But texting? That program doesn't rotate so there's no reason they're forced to put a sideways keyboard. So they have a choice. And given the choice...well, they don't like the sideways keyboard!

It's as simple as that.

I agree with you but I meant why haven't 3rd party developers made this happen. apple apparently does not like widescreen email either because they haven't done this for us

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
I've wondered about this too. At least for me, using the keyboard in landscape mode (web) is WAY easier.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
I wish whoever made Firemail would make it work for Texting too.

Then I would be a happy camper.

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
I agree with you but I meant why haven't 3rd party developers made this happen. apple apparently does not like widescreen email either because they haven't done this for us
Because a third-party mail app would duplicate an existing core app (mail). Apple has already dinged a separate gmail app.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois

Because there's nothing in the SDK that even remotely lets you send SMS...there's the url link to open the sms application...but none to actually send. (while you can send emails directly with mailto)

EDIT: Actually, I take part of it back. Of course you can send SMS through email, I believe...the user would have to select the other person's carrier and would also have to know that the other person will receive it from a random number.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
1) They think it looks weird

2) They think it wouldn't worth it.

Basically Apple's main reasons to not include something useful. I'm sure we will see it someday, but if you were to rotate the keyboard sideways in the SMS right now, there really wouldn't be much room to see the convo, which would involve cutting and cropping the top bar.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Because a third-party mail app would duplicate an existing core app (mail). Apple has already dinged a separate gmail app.
That shouldn't matter.

Firemail gives me a landscape keyboard for email and works awesome.

Not sure why very similar development could not be used for the SMS application.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Apple doesn't seem to give a crap about what we want.. it's only what they think is best. (copy/paste, video recorder, mms, landscape, etc) :/

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
keep sending it in. every time you want it, type in the basics and send it. let apple know you're serious.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
simple because mr. god-complex himself steve jobs doesnt like it. And if he doesnt like it then you cant have it, not even as an option.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
The primary reason is who wants to start a text exit using Home Button open the landscape app type 15 characters reenter SMS app and repeat?

Texts are not long enough to justify the extra steps; while email can be many paragraphs in length the texts must be less than 160 characters. With the current state of things this is the ONLY option and not a viable one at that.

joshuabaker13

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
Widescreen texting is a must!

I don't care what apple thinks, I can't hardly get those little buttons in the current txting bar and I work sending 2500 texts a month. They really need to fix this. It seems like an easy fix, so why not?

Joshua - joshuabaker13@gmail.com - stayner.ca

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.