Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylen1010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
I'm at college right now, and before I left I created backup DMG's of all my software CD's & DVD's, then left them at home...

I'm trying to install the Boot Camp drivers in Win XP Pro w/ SP3. Since I don't have the physical DVD (only the DMG), is there any way to get the EXE installer off the DMG and then copy it over to Windows with a flash drive?

I think that the DVD has 2 partitions, one that Mac uses and one that Windows uses, so when I backed up the DMG, I might not have backed up the Windows parition (with the EXE I need for the drivers).

Thanks!

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
if you have a decent net connection you can download them from bittorrent. (which i imagine that you do being in college!)

they can be found at the pirate bay for one.

deneenco

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2007
A2, MI
why not just burn the DMG to create a DVD using Disc Utility? You might have to get a DL DVD since i'm not sure how big the restore DVD's are.

kylen1010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
the only problem with downloading form a torrent site (besides legality) is not all the drivers are the same for each machine (mac mini, macbook, macbook pro, imac, etc are all different) and not many of them list what they are actually from.

So i took the long (and creative?) way to get this to work and called home, had my sister put the dvd in the computer at home, then remote desktoped (logmein :)) and extracted the files i needed. then i turned started the abyss server and now I'm downloading the files as we speak! (and why the heck is the upload speed of cable modems so horrible?!?! I'm downloading here at a steady 60KB/sec and its definitely not on the school's end haha)

probably not the easiest way, but its gonna work!

Thanks!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
the only problem with downloading form a torrent site (besides legality) is not all the drivers are the same for each machine (mac mini, macbook, macbook pro, imac, etc are all different) and not many of them list what they are actually from.

The Leopard disc has the drivers for all supported Macs. It is the discs you get with your Mac that contain specific drivers.

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
For future reference, you can create a new partition on you HD that is 8GB. Then use the restore tab in disk utility and select the .dmg as the source and the new partition as the destination.

Caution: It is good to have a backup before you mess with the partitioning, because if the partition fails, you won't be able to access your data.

You can then mount the partition and it will act like the install dvd, you can boot from it by holding the option key on startup and selecting it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.