Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vhairi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Hi there!

I'm not quite sure what's the best way to explain this problem, but I'll do my best.

Simply, I want to be able to print out documents in the same form as books. E.g. If a document has 72 pages, one A4 sheet of paper would have pages 1 and 72 on one side, and pages 2 and 71 on the reverse side.

Is this clear? Basicall, when it is printed you can fold the A4 sheets in half and have a mini book.

Any help is much appreciated, I can't seem to find a way to do this without doing it manually and taking a laboriously long time :confused:

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
There are a few ways to do this. The first two involve setting your Pages document in File > Page Setup… to landscape orientation. I originally wrote this for Pages 2. In Pages 3, use the page layout mode for #s 1a & 1b.

1a - Use linked text boxes. This is easier done with the layout showing. First you need to add a page break to have two pages. Click in the body area & then Insert > Page Break. Now click outside the layout area to enter object mode & click the "T" in the tool bar or Insert > Text to create a text box & type something in it. This is to keep the box from disappearing if you click elsewhere & the text can be replaced later. If you already have some text to paste in you can just paste while in object mode & a text box containing your text will be created. You will now need to click outside the layout again & drag the cursor toward the text box to select it. You can now position the first text box in the lower right of your 2-page document. It is easier to see where it goes if you have the document set up with 2 columns. Click on the blue-outlined tab at the lower right of the text box to create a new of the same size & move the box to the upper left. Repeat for a box for the upper right & again for the lower right. You will now have 4 linked text boxes.

1b - Start as in 1a creating a 2-page document with 2 columns in landscape orientation. For this one you will use the body text area. Just type or paste your text in as normal, starting in the upper left. When you have your text done, cut all of the text in the first column (upper left), insert a column break after the last character on the now lower left column & paste the cut text after it in the now lower right column.

Neither one of these will let you automatically use page numbers because Pages "sees" each page & you actually have 2 pages per page.

2 - Use Cocoa Booklet to create a booklet with any number of pages (best in a multiple of 4). Export the Pages document to a PDF & then drag the PDF to the icon of Cocoa Booklet. It will create a new PDF in booklet form.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.