Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
So at this point we can say that, no, that bad trip on some heavy **** does not lead on to schizophrenia. There’s no difference in incidence.

But the paper’s authors go much further:

Altogether, these findings, in addition to those of previous studies, indicate that cannabis-induced psychosis may not be a valid diagnosis but an early marker of schizophrenia.

That is, that the very idea of that bad trip is itself wrong. The disease is already there, simply wrongly diagnosed as being cannabis induced. And finally we get:

Rather, the degree of hereditary predisposition in individuals who receive treatment of cannabis-induced psychosis closely mirrors that in those who develop schizophrenia with no history of cannabis induced psychosis. The results agree with those of other studies that show that cannabis predominantly causes psychotic symptoms in those persons who are predisposed to develop psychosis or show signs of psychosis in the absence of cannabis use.
The Register.

Dude, that's rad.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
It's long been my view that people with schizophrenia type problems who don't have a diagnoses self medicate with various drugs (alcohol and dope mainly) which helps control symptoms in the short term but as the disease progresses become less effective,they finally get a diagnoses and hopefully some real help and whammo the statistic wonks decide the self-medication caused the disease. I haven't read this report in detail but hopefully it will knock that theory on the head.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
The usual tabloid-style ramblings from The Register then...

The study raises some interesting points, but does nothing to counter those raised by other studies, which DO show a correlation between cannabis and psychosis when there is no predisposition.

Bottom line? More research needs to be done.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The usual tabloid-style ramblings from The Register then...

The study raises some interesting points, but does nothing to counter those raised by other studies, which DO show a correlation between cannabis and psychosis when there is no predisposition.

Agree. The jury is still out on this one, and a bit more research still needs to be done.

Cheers

noaccess

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005

Emphasis mine.

The current theory on how disorders like schizophrenia develop is called the diathesis-stress model. I'm no expert, but apparently, there must be a biological predisposition in order for it to develop.

Schtumple said:
If they are, sign me up
tongue.gif
Me too :) Where do I sign?

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Oh c'mon - like anyone really believed that cannabis use could lead to schizophrenia.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
^^LMAO.

I've known a lot of pot smokers in my time but none of them were psychotic, at least in the clinical sense.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Personally the stuff induces schizophrenic like symptoms in me for about three days afterwards, I hallucinate wildly and my thoughts get all jumbled to the point that I find it difficult to articulate myself clearly, it's deeply unpleasant and one of the many reasons I don't touch the stuff.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
At least 2 pot smokers I know became nutters after taking the stuff, one in my own family so that alone puts me completely off it, predisposition or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.