Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

just o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
rubber city
Ok so it is close to upgrade time and I have been thinking about an Iphone. The one thing that turns me off is the supposed lack of mms. I know there are tons of threads on this, but I cant seem to piece the info I need together so I'll try to ask...

1. if you have an Iphone and someone sends a mms, what happens on your end and their(the senders end)?

2. do you need one of those mms programs that some people say work and some say don't?

3. can you send pics to other peoples phones with out email?

4. which one works?

5. do you think that an app or update will eventially be available to include mms?

I know, some people think mms is old school and we should just email, but I like some of those stupid fwd fwd's from my sick friends that don't have iphones.

mcnicks

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
MMS was designed by the telecoms industry to gouge consumers by generating a new revenue stream instead of opening up their bandwidth to allow email. If my iPhone supported MMS it would cost me 40p to send a message. For that money, I could print a digital photo in a superstore, buy a stamp, affix it to the print, buy a pen, write a message on the back and send it to somebody in the post.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It is really not that hard to piece together the answers, but here you go anyway.

1. if you have an Iphone and someone sends a mms, what happens on your end and their(the senders end)?

2. do you need one of those mms programs that some people say work and some say don't?

3. can you send pics to other peoples phones with out email?

4. which one works?

5. do you think that an app or update will eventially be available to include mms?
1) If you receive an MMS from someone else you have to go to an external website (viewmymessage.com or something like that) to view the picture.
2) If you want to send an MMS you need to use a third party program. I am unsure if this is available in the App store or if you need to jail break the phone to use such software. You can e-mail a picture to a phone by using their phone number as an e-mail address. IE: 3105551212@vzwpix.com.
3) No you cannot send pictures to other people without e-mail (on the iPhone). You can however mail a picture to a person using a #10 envelope and a stamp.
4) This question is too vague to answer. I work, I presume you work. Mailing a picture works, e-mailing works.
5) I do not believe an app or an update will ever come from Apple allowing their owners to send pictures via MMS. I believe Apple truly feels that e-mail is the way to go, therefore, don't bet on it.

I have found that e-mailing pictures to people's phones is now second nature. It is instant for them. I don't get many MMSs myself so I am not bothered by this.

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
2) If you want to send an MMS you need to use a third party program. I am unsure if this is available in the App store or if you need to jail break the phone to use such software. You can e-mail a picture to a phone by using their phone number as an e-mail address. IE: 3105551212@vzwpix.com.

I disagree. You dont need a third party program to send a MMS. You can simply do what you said in the last part of your statement without jailbreaking. I do this a lot. I have the cell phone email address of the people I typically send MMS to programmed into their contact information. I simply grab a picture and send it to that address and poof, they get my picture message on their phone, not in their email. The only annoying part is receiving a picture message and having to go the http://www.viewmymessage.com and type in the username and password without copy and paste.

I have found that e-mailing pictures to people's phones is now second nature. It is instant for them. I don't get many MMSs myself so I am not bothered by this.

The most despicable argument on every MMS thread on this forum. Saying you don't use MMS much so you aren't bothered by it adds nothing to the OP topic. The OP likes and wants to send MMS on a regular basis so this statement is irrelevant.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I disagree. You dont need a third party program to send a MMS. You can simply do what you said in the last part of your statement without jailbreaking. I do this a lot. I have the cell phone email address of the people I typically send MMS to programmed into their contact information. I simply grab a picture and send it to that address and poof, they get my picture message on their phone, not in their email. The only annoying part is receiving a picture message and having to go the http://www.viewmymessage.com and type in the username and password without copy and paste.

You are correct about this.
The most despicable argument on every MMS thread on this forum. Saying you don't use MMS much so you aren't bothered by it adds nothing to the OP topic. The OP likes and wants to send MMS on a regular basis so this statement is irrelevant.

No friend, I simply stated for myself the lack of MMS means nothing. It is neither and arguement or a position. The OP and you add nothing to this topic when he a) asks questions that are clearly answered repeatedly around here and b) you deem something irrelevant because it isn't your position.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois

While it may not add much value, it still adds some value.

One of the OP's questions was whether MMS was coming in the future. Since this is a discussion forum, we are to voice our opinions (because of Apple's secretiveness).

By the poster saying that they do not use it adds another person to the side Apple is supposedly taking where email can replace MMS. Not a ton of value, but certainly some value.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA

Not every country has this. We don't have that option here.

jmann

macrumors 604
Since people aren't staying on topic, I thought I would say something useful ;)

I would recommend jailbreaking and downloading a trial copy of SwirlyMMS through cydia. It works great and the recipients seem to get my messages right away. I highly recommend it.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
No friend, I simply stated for myself the lack of MMS means nothing. It is neither and arguement or a position. The OP and you add nothing to this topic when he a) asks questions that are clearly answered repeatedly around here and b) you deem something irrelevant because it isn't your position.

please, what about people who have phones that have plans that have mms but not data and hence not email

not everyone has iphones or bb's lol

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
I actually see both sides of the argument. I'm right in the middle. I don't use MMS often at all BUT when I want/need it I really miss it. It baffles me that Apple won't finally just bow to the pressure and add it to the iPhone. The way I look at it is if Apple adds MMS it doesn't hurt anyone who doesn't want it. However, the lack of MMS DOES hurt those that do.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
MMS was designed by the telecoms industry to gouge consumers by generating a new revenue stream instead of opening up their bandwidth to allow email. If my iPhone supported MMS it would cost me 40p to send a message. For that money, I could print a digital photo in a superstore, buy a stamp, affix it to the print, buy a pen, write a message on the back and send it to somebody in the post.

Yeh, and it wouldn't be instant. For the cost of a computer, I could buy 1000's of stamps and pieces of paper instead of emailing everyone too. What a moronic statement. No MMS is a VALID complaint. I'm sure you do something the rest of us find equally worthless in your life. Do us all a favor and don't post anymore.

Aurial

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008

Jesus, 40p? What network are you on??? They've always been about 25p on the networks I've used.

On the whole MMS vs email thing, you can do more with an MMS that you can with an email. An MMS is more like a presentation and can play music/audio/text/video/pictures in slides which can be timed. People always argue for email as a better alternative to MMS but forget half the things you can do with it that you can't with email. The majority of people who have access to email on their phones (of which they themselves are a vast minority) don't have push email, compared to the instant delivery of an MMS.

It's useful for vCards, etc too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.