Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fireb0x

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Where are some places that I HAVE to visit? I was also trying to find out what the best mall in New York is.

UPDATE: Page 4 has my trip experience.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
Where are some places that I HAVE to visit? I was also trying to find out what the best mall in New York is.

Metropolitan Museum of Arts, Modern Museum of Arts, Guggenheim Museum, maybe American Museum of Natural History as well. Of course, I'm just a little biased :p.
Visit Wall street if you're interested in finance/financial history, SoHo and Greenwich if you're interested in culture/architecture.
And APPLE STORE.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
If you want recommendations, you should provide some more details. When are you coming? Where are you staying? Will you have a car?

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
When you say New York, you mean the city, or the state. Besides all the cool city stuff, you need to check out Lake Placid and the Adirondacks, Buffalo, you know, all teh cool places. But yeah, the city is cool too.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
tour all the apple stores, Donald Trump buildings, Wall Street, Central Park

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Ironic. I'm actually leaving for New York tomorrow morning. I've been there a handful of times though.

I'll add a few more points of interest:

1. Empire State Building Observation deck. Commands an incredible view of the city.

2. World Trade Center site. I can't really describe the feeling. A cross between pride, anger and sadness.

3. Statue of Liberty. I think you can actually go inside the podium now. When I took the family a few years back they wouldn't let us inside.

4. Ellis Island

5. Bronx Zoo if you like zoos.

6. USS Intrepid if you're into military and aircraft.

7. Times Square, and maybe catch a show.

These things teamed with the rest of the suggestions should keep you busy for a while. :)

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
Forgot to mention, catch a broadway show (or two) if you can. You can also take tours inside of a few TV studios for under $30 if you arrange it beforehand. Visit Macy's across from Herald Square. Even if you don't like the store, it's just cool to check out the largest department store in the world.

InvalidUserID

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
Kinda general there.

What do you like to do, what are you interests? I would put into your mind that you WON'T see everything you want to as there is just too much. I lived in NY for a few years and I still haven't even seen everything.

As for shopping...pffft, Manhattan is one great big mall.

fireb0x

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
I am going this December the 3rd through 7th.

Me and my wife are mostly interested in seeing interesting things that make New York City what it is. We, for instance, will take the NBC studios tour but we want to visit the museums as listed above and take a walk through central park. We are DEFINITELY going to be hitting up 5th avenue, Dylan's, and for sure the glass cube.

I suppose I am mostly asking about things I should do that normally a tourist wouldn't think to do. Maybe suggest a good restaurant that I might like.

We are staying in a hotel near La Guardia, but it is a free stay so we can't complain.

Having said that, I know it will be a struggle to get into town. What is the best/cheapest way to get into the city where all the action is at?

Thanks for all the good suggestions so far.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
What is the best/cheapest way to get into the city where all the action is at?

Granted I don't live there, but I would definitely say the subway. Every time I'm in NYC the subway has been the cheapest and easiest way of getting around.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
I am going this December the 3rd through 7th.

Me and my wife are mostly interested in seeing interesting things that make New York City what it is. We, for instance, will take the NBC studios tour but we want to visit the museums as listed above and take a walk through central park. We are DEFINITELY going to be hitting up 5th avenue, Dylan's, and for sure the glass cube.

I suppose I am mostly asking about things I should do that normally a tourist wouldn't think to do. Maybe suggest a good restaurant that I might like.

We are staying in a hotel near La Guardia, but it is a free stay so we can't complain.

Having said that, I know it will be a struggle to get into town. What is the best/cheapest way to get into the city where all the action is at?

Thanks for all the good suggestions so far.

I think the NYC subway doesn't reach there, so you might have to take a bus to a subway station, then go from there. You can use the same fare from bus for subway. NYC subway is quite convenient albeit it can be crowded. NYC cabs are not too expensive (that I remember), but it takes serious skills to be able to get a cab in Manhattan sometimes. And the traffic jams can be horrific sometimes. I've once stood on museum mile for 40 minutes watching a car move like 40 feet.
Assuming that you're not doing anything on the day of arrival and departure that leaves 3 days to explore NYC. I guess you could split it into downtown, midtown and uptown, but that's just Manhattan. I would try to get more than just 3 days for NYC though.

P.S. The NBC studio in Rockefeller has a cool gift shop :).

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Cab from La Guardia to manhatten is 20 + 5 for toll, so 30 with tip.

Can go ice skating on Rockefeller. By then it should be nice.

Have fun in NYC, I'll be there at the same time too in Manhatten.

fireb0x

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Cab from La Guardia to manhatten is 20 + 5 for toll, so 30 with tip.

Can go ice skating on Rockefeller. By then it should be nice.

Have fun in NYC, I'll be there at the same time too in Manhatten.

Thanks for that info, I was wondering how much it would be to take a cab in.

Do they normally charge flat rate or by the mile / time?

Here in San Antonio, cabs are damn near non existant. They are very expensive here because they are rarely used.

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
I'd recommend taking a bus tour. Locals may look down on such activity but it really is a great way of seeing lots of the city without costing an arm and leg (I'd avoid cabs unless no other option).

Get a double-decker tour in Broadway around Times Square. The dayside ones can hit all many of the major stops and you can get out and explore. The night bus tours are also quite fun.

Using the Subway is another option once you start to get the feel of things.

Central Park in the day, Empire State Building. Times Square/Broadway in the evening.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
The Comedy Cellar

Central Park

Ray's Pizza

The Forbes Museum Gallery

Red Rock West

Conan O'Brien

South Street Seaport

Grays Papaya

The Intrepid

The Bitter End

Down The Hatch

The Slaughtered Lamb

Tao

The Dakota Building

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
Don't forget to take in a Broadway show! When I'm in Manhattan, I usually go to the TKTS booth (on 47th, between Broadway and 7th) and see what kind of half-price shows they've got for that night. It's a great way to pick up inexpensive theatre tickets, and often to some of the best shows in town.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
hey i would also take a look into a city pass, theya re i think 74 bucks, (i went there a montha go) and it was the best 74 bucks spent.. you get admissions to most well known museums, the empire state building and the manhattan cruise,, ... you really must at least look into it... you'll save alot of money and gte too see and travel the city a lot.
what we did, we just went to a different museum everydaya nd subway'ed it there, taking diferent trains all teh time (we were in Queens) so we got to try different restaurant, and all, and after the museum we would just go around to different malls in the city on teh way back home...

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Thanks for that info, I was wondering how much it would be to take a cab in.

Do they normally charge flat rate or by the mile / time?

Here in San Antonio, cabs are damn near non existant. They are very expensive here because they are rarely used.

Cabs are cheap and crazy. 10 bucks gets me from 33rd to 5th avenue.

Odd thing is the lights will say off duty, but they are really on duty. They do this because they have to pick up people if they are on duty. So even if they are off duty, try to hail one. They are just avoiding the people going out to Brooklyn and such because there is money staying downtown.

Have fun.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
Cabs are cheap and crazy. 10 bucks gets me from 33rd to 5th avenue.

Odd thing is the lights will say off duty, but they are really on duty. They do this because they have to pick up people if they are on duty. So even if they are off duty, try to hail one. They are just avoiding the people going out to Brooklyn and such because there is money staying downtown.

Have fun.

yes, and there are also many many "fishy" cab companies as well, they are not actual registered cab companies and tehyc harge waaaaaaaaaaay less...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.