Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Can someone advise me of the best/cheapest place to buy the correct airport card to fit into my 2008 Mac Pro please?

Im in the UK but if it works out a lot cheaper ordering elsewhere then I don't mind.

Also does anyone have the page that guide you on how to fit it?

Thanks

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
I think he was talking about a site to buy the airport card, not a guide on how to install it.
Even though he would probably need that afterwards anyways.

but here is a site i found that sells it for the 2008 mac pro.

http://www.powermax.com/parts/show/q34844

Thanks I was after both actually ;)

Hmmm seems quite pricey about the same as it is over here plus I would need to pay shipping. Does anyone know of any UK places?

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Well if you were to take it into the apple store and have them do it, then it would still be around the same price.

The apple store is about 2 hours away from me and im sure it's easy enough to do myself.

ObaMaciden

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
On Apple online store, has anyone noticed that the Airport Extreme Card for MP is 802.11g based? I checked on Amazon and they sell the same 802.11g card (M8881LL)

Where can you buy the 802.11n?

MarcoOSX

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2008
On Apple online store, has anyone noticed that the Airport Extreme Card for MP is 802.11g based? I checked on Amazon and they sell the same 802.11g card (M8881LL)

hello ObaMaciden, in the apple store there isn't airport card for macpro.

"This AirPort Extreme Card is not compatible with the Mac Pro or the Power Mac G5 Dual and Power Mac G5 Quad computers introduced in October 2005. To add an AirPort Extreme card to one of these systems, please contact an Apple Retail Store or other Authorized Apple Service Provider."

i'm italian and this is the part number for airport on macpro MB363ZM/A

ObaMaciden

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
hello ObaMaciden, in the apple store there isn't airport card for macpro.

"This AirPort Extreme Card is not compatible with the Mac Pro or the Power Mac G5 Dual and Power Mac G5 Quad computers introduced in October 2005. To add an AirPort Extreme card to one of these systems, please contact an Apple Retail Store or other Authorized Apple Service Provider."

i'm italian and this is the part number for airport on macpro MB363ZM/A

Yup, MacroOSX, you are correct on this one. I called an Apple store and they said I'll have to have the AirPort card installed when I buy the MP. It's too bad that this card is not a default install!

MarcoOSX

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2008
Yup, MacroOSX, you are correct on this one. I called an Apple store and they said I'll have to have the AirPort card installed when I buy the MP. It's too bad that this card is not a default install!

yes i know, there are many online shop where you can buy the airport.

Trev311

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008
Pumpkin Land

I was under the impression that the Apple stores could install the AirPort card after buying the MP, is this not true?

PodPacker

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
Absolute Cheapest Card is an Apple Card at CostCentral

Buy it cheap here You have to call to order, but they will sell original part to you. This is not a third-party card.

I just saved some of you 30 beans, make it up to me at Christmas. :eek:

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

For the 2008 Mac Pro, you need the MB363Z/A. I bought mine at J&R for $49 plus shipping and installed it myself (PITA!). I had still had the $2 file for the 802.11n enabler just in case (bought it a while back for an older iMac), but the card already supported 802.11n out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.