Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Nov 7, 2008, 05:53 PM   #1
akindo
macrumors newbie

Installing GCC Without All of Xcode

Hi fellow programmers on OS X. I just got a new Leopard install up and running on my 76GB HD. I need gcc and gdb plus all libraries for C and C++ programming, but am not keen on installing all of Xcode because, a. it takes up about 2.5GB on my small HD, b. I will use Emacs and gdb instead of the Xcode IDE.

I read here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=374259 about a guy who modified the Xcode installer to just install gcc. Does anyone know how I can do a similar modification to get gcc and gdb plus the libraries? Is it simply a matter of deleting packages from the diskimage? And if so, which package contains gdb and the libraries?

Thanks a lot for any help.
akindo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 06:17 PM   #2
bdoyle
macrumors newbie

I was able to install gcc 4.2 (no xcode) from the 'dmg' found on the "apple developers connection" "developers tools" download page. I could not find 'ddd' so I downloaded the source code and built it myself. No problem. Works good.

Here is a link to the software:
http://adcdownload.apple.com/Develop...42preview1.dmg
bdoyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 09:13 PM   #3
NeoMayhem
macrumors 6502a

Do a custom install and uncheck everything but the compilers. This was not an option before Leopard, and I was very excited to see it added.
NeoMayhem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 07:22 AM   #4
akindo
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys.

bdoyle: Thanks for that, had a look at the Developer Tools download page on Apple dev. I found gcc, also thanks to your link, but not gdb. I have previously tried to compile the gdb sources on OS X without success and was told on the gdb IRC channel that those sources are not for OS X/powerpc. Is there any other way to get gdb?

NeoMayhem: I had a second look at the install for Xcode 3.1.1 and cannot find a custom install option. There is a page where you can uncheck some options, but it is not possible to uncheck the core Xcode tools, which take up 2GB.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 02:08 PM   #5
NeoMayhem
macrumors 6502a

Did you download xcode or are you installing it off the DVD that came with your mac?

I am positive I was able to just install the compilers. I was surprised to see it an option, because it never was in the past.

What I used to do was just install the whole thing, and then delete the /Developer Folder. GCC and everything else is installed in system folders, so this just removes xcode and the documentation.
NeoMayhem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 08:40 AM   #6
akindo
macrumors newbie

I installed it from the downloaded dmg, as this is the newest version.

Good tip regarding installing everything and then removing the /Developer dir, think I will do that then.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:27 AM   #7
hunter3740
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to hunter3740
install just gcc (not whole xcode)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akindo View Post
I installed it from the downloaded dmg, as this is the newest version.

Good tip regarding installing everything and then removing the /Developer dir, think I will do that then.

Uninstall xcode and remove the /Developer directory in one command (i.e. don't just delete the folder; and note, this is referenced in the aboutxcodetools.pdf inside the xcode312.dmg you downloaded from connect.apple.com):
/Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

You can then just install gcc from that same xcodetools.dmg, inside the Packages folder (i.e. don't use the main XcodeTools.mpkg, but Packages/gcc4.2.pkg).
hunter3740 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming