Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yani2k8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
UK
Hi.

I need some advice. My iPhone (3G 2.1) is acting weird. Everytime I run an application, after a few minutes of using it, it automatically quits and goes back to the home screen.

It happens very often with Safari and many applications downloaded from the AppStore. I tried restoring it but this didn't work.

I am considering taking it to an Apple store but there is one problem - I had previously jailbroken my iPhone and although it is now restored back to normal, I am worried that they might find out somehow and void my warranty. Atleast that's what I've heard.

Any suggestions? Please let me know how it works.

Thanks.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Yes, jailbreaking does void the warranty. However, people have restored before taking it to an Apple Store and have had it exchanged without any problems. As long as it is restored when you take it in, you'll more than likely be able to get some help.

There HAS been one guy that posted saying if a genius runs diagnostics it's possible for them to see things that were previously installed, including jailbreak apps, but no one else has been able to verify this at all.

It's worth a shot to take it in.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
If you need to restore to take in to Apple then put the iPhone into DFU first...then restore. That should eliminate traces of a Jailbreak.

equlizer

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
I talked to an apple care person at the apple store and he said they didnt care weather it was jailbroken or not. Maybe that was just him talking iduno:confused:

I dont believe jailbreaking causes problems, its the user that ****s things up:apple:

MST

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
I took a previously jailbroken 2G into my local Apple Store on Friday and had it exchanged; yes they did run a diagnostic as Ivan P mentioned, all I did was restore via iTunes, erase all content and settings and then activate it.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Definitely do a DFU mode restore! If you just plug it in and restore jailbreak data will to be left behind for the Genius to detect and possible deny your warranty coverage.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
If you want to be absolutely clear you will have to perform an "Erase All Content And Settings" problem is that by default the PwnageTool disables partition-wipe. So you will discover that your iPhone will lock-up about 1.5 hours in to the wipe.

This necessitates a DFU Restore then an "Erase All Content And Settings."

Using the above method allowed me to pass the Genius diagnostics and have my iPhone replaced.

FTR, my friend had a Pwned iPhone and had used Poof. He performed only a DFU Restore and his icons that he had hidden remained just that, HIDDEN. This is definitive proof that ONLY a successful "Erase All Content And Settings" will Virginize the iPhone.

yani2k8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
UK
If you want to be absolutely clear you will have to perform an "Erase All Content And Settings" problem is that by default the PwnageTool disables partition-wipe. So you will discover that your iPhone will lock-up about 1.5 hours in to the wipe.

This necessitates a DFU Restore then an "Erase All Content And Settings."

Using the above method allowed me to pass the Genius diagnostics and have my iPhone replaced.

FTR, my friend had a Pwned iPhone and had used Poof. He performed only a DFU Restore and his icons that he had hidden remained just that, HIDDEN. This is definitive proof that ONLY a successful "Erase All Content And Settings" will Virginize the iPhone.

How do you perform an "Erase All Content and Settings"?

And wouldn't it be a bit obvious to the Apple genius that I have just restored my iPhone as there wouldn't be any data or apps on it and all the settings will be set to default?

Thanks.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
...wouldn't it be a bit obvious to the Apple genius that I have just restored my iPhone as there wouldn't be any data or apps on it and all the settings will be set to default?

Two things...

1. If your phone is performing poorly, and nothing else works, it would make sense that your last step before going in to see a genius would be to restore the phone. It makes double sense if you simply tell them, "I figured that it would be a good idea to erase all my data, in case you were going to replace my phone."

2. Even without considering the above, so what? It's all circumstantial anyway.

yani2k8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
UK
Two things...

1. If your phone is performing poorly, and nothing else works, it would make sense that your last step before going in to see a genius would be to restore the phone. It makes double sense if you simply tell them, "I figured that it would be a good idea to erase all my data, in case you were going to replace my phone."

2. Even without considering the above, so what? It's all circumstantial anyway.

Good point :)

How do I do an "Erase All Content And Settings" though?

steamed.hams

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Miami, FL
And wouldn't it be a bit obvious to the Apple genius that I have just restored my iPhone as there wouldn't be any data or apps on it and all the settings will be set to default?

Thanks.

No, because some people would prefer to have all their data wiped clean if they were to exchange their phone for a new one through applecare.

gheavey

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
Hi.

I need some advice. My iPhone (3G 2.1) is acting weird. Everytime I run an application, after a few minutes of using it, it automatically quits and goes back to the home screen.

It happens very often with Safari and many applications downloaded from the AppStore. I tried restoring it but this didn't work.

I am considering taking it to an Apple store but there is one problem - I had previously jailbroken my iPhone and although it is now restored back to normal, I am worried that they might find out somehow and void my warranty. Atleast that's what I've heard.

Any suggestions? Please let me know how it works.

Thanks.

since you already jailbreakin your phone i would suggest you buy a 3g sim card

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.