Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

specialsyco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Someone i know was going to throw out an imac g4 so i decided to save it and i was wondering if i could make it run an intel processor. Currently it is running 800MHz PowerPc processor. I was wondering if the processor on the imac now is connected directly to the mother board and if it can be removed what socket type it has etc. because i have no about how PPC's work and i haven't cracked it open yet. Can anyone help me out?:D

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Someone i know was going to throw out an imac g4 so i decided to save it and i was wondering if i could make it run an intel processor. Currently it is running 800MHz PowerPc processor. I was wondering if the processor on the imac now is connected directly to the mother board and if it can be removed what socket type it has etc. because i have no about how PPC's work and i haven't cracked it open yet. Can anyone help me out?:D

No. Never.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
The 'socket' is different for starters. Plus the G4 is like 10 years old. Motherboards need to be designed with a certain chip in mind, and well, you can't see into the future.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yes ...

It is called a PC ... buy one and sit it on the desk next to the Mac. ;)

Or buy a Mac Mini.

Some people would gut their old Macs and put a mini-PC inside, though the lampshade iMacs tend not to use standard display connectors so wiring up to that display may mean putting in a new LCD panel and wires also.

msheldrick

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
they use completely different architecture, so it wouldn't be possible... i'm sure if it was possible we'd all have old iMacs with Core 2 Duo's in them :D

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
ok... a little explanation. is the PPC processor directly connected to the motherboard so you cant remove it? i mean c'mon dude give me a real answer

You already know Wikipedia, so look these up:

PowerPC
x86

Tell us they're interchangeable. Tell us that we were wrong for seven years trying to virtualize Windows on PowerPC Macs when we could have just run it natively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.