Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 9, 2008, 06:42 PM   #1
indigone
macrumors newbie

start up problem with powerbook G4 - disk 0s3: I/O error

so, i don't know a lot about this, am hoping someone can give me some advice...

powerbook G4, about 3 years old, previous problems: motherboard replaced about a year ago, and basically dead battery...the computer will only run plugged in. this has led to quite a few sudden restarts - the cord comes unplugged, the computer shuts down...it restarts in 1969. anyway, thats the background.

after one such restart, instead of the usual, i got a abnormally long start up screen (the spinning thing, and then the box with the blue bar). After this, I got a black screen with the following:

Darwin/BSD (my-name-powerbook-g4-12.lo)(console)
login:

at this point it waits for a while, and then i get:

disk 0s3: I/O error

then it comes up on the plain blue screen and stays there.

From my searching around online, I think this is some sort of hard drive problem? The hard drive is making some rather laboured noises, but no clicks.

I rebooted from the OSX CD, and ran a repair disk, which said no repairs were necessary...this is where I am currently. Am a little afraid to proceed without advice. I would like to try and get a few more months out of this computer if i can.
indigone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs