Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

embalmess

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
I know this sounds SO DUMB but when I download something, I assume it will pop up on my desktop, but it doesn't. I have to search in my harddrive, or click "today" along the side panel. Where does it default go so I can change it?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

embalmess

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
But I don't see it, I guess that's the problem. Where is the download folder? I have looked in my harddrive icon. Under applications? If I found it, I would drag it to the desktop for a copy there.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Like they said, they are downloaded to the "downloads" folder. If you haven't fittled with your dock, you should have a downloads "stack" where you can view them too. You can change the download location in Safari preferences.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 2,316

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
If you are using Safari is should go into the Download folder, when i downloaded Firefox it defaulted to the desktop and I had to change it to the "Download" folder.
If you use Safari
Click under "Safari" at the top (Tool Bar) and click under preferences. From there click under "General" tab and there you should see where the downloads go.
Firefox is then same but instead the "general" tab, it's called the "main" tab.

embalmess

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
YAAAAAY!!!!

Thank you Chase!!! And to the other poster, I don't have it down next to my trash, only "documents" and nothing goes in there for some reason either. Thanks for all the other tips and advice everyone!! :p:p:p

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
drag the downloads folder to the right section of your dock. then when ever you download something it will bounce OoOo! you can also set how the stacks look and behave by right clicking them.

noodlehead

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Can I turn off Download Folder auto-save?

I run Firefox and have the preference set to "Ask me where to save" downloads. This is fine: When I want to save a download I deliberately save it and put it where I want it. But Leopard saves all downloads in the Downloads folder automatically, and I have to constantly be going in there and deleting them. If I view a PDF from a website, it doesn't mean I want to save it. Is there a way to disable this auto save function? Thanks very much.

cchitchcock

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
Unable to download PDFs, Updates, & More

I upgraded to Mac OS 10.8.5 on a mac desktop, and I use firefox. updated that too.
Now I'm unable to download a PDF, a file, a picture, a software download etc.
I get Downloading/FmLKEEex.exe.part...

Change the folder properties and try again or try saving in a different location.

How can I change where I am saving stuff?

Can't find it anywhere!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.