Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
100_3558.jpg

100_3559.jpg

Got bored a couple of weeks ago and felt the welder needed to be dusted off, so I went and spent $15 on metal, and 3 hours in the garage to make a stand for my Macbook Pro rather than buying one for $60+(although they'd be more aethetically pleasing). I just used some 1/8" flat stock and 1/4" rod, then went and bought little rubber feet from Michaels for the bottom and for where the notebook sits.

I made it before I bought the 19" monitor, so it's a little tall, so I think I'll be cutting it down about 1", so it sits even with the top of the external LCD.

It's beginning to rust - I just went over it all with a flap disc to make that brushed texture, but haven't decided whether to paint it black or just clear coat it. What do you guys think?

Figured I'm surely not the only one here who knows how to fabricate with metal so I decided I'd share. I can take some more photos or measurements if someone's interested.

I know it's relatively ghetto, but at least it's not wood, right?

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
I know it's relatively ghetto, but at least it's not wood, right?

dont you mean cardbord??

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 320

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
I would buy some rubber or something between the stand and the MBP so the aluminum wont get scratched....>.<

but other than that.. its nice.. :D both of them..
and the cat is hilarious lol

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
I would buy some rubber or something between the stand and the MBP so the aluminum wont get scratched....>.<

but other than that.. its nice.. :D both of them..
and the cat is hilarious lol
Yeah it like sent chills down my spine the first I sat it on thre and it slid forward. If you look closely at the first photo, you can see little clear dots in each "corner". These also lifted it up high enough so the bar at the front holds it on, but still keeps the optical drive easily accessible, as it wasn't before the little pads.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Thanks guys, and yes, that cat is determined that his place in this world is lying on my mouse and keyboard on my desk.[/QUOTE]
You may want to consider activating parental controls on your Mac, to restrict which websites the cat can get to. Otherwise, you'll find all sorts of pop-ups and spam from MeowSpace.com!

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
Nothing wrong with wood! You spent $15 on yours, I spent nothin at all on mine!

imgs

No, yours is actually really nice looking. I was really referring to the ghetto one I linked to in the original post. Nothing wrong with wood at all. Nice stand.

You may want to consider activating parental controls on your Mac, to restrict which websites the cat can get to. Otherwise, you'll find all sorts of pop-ups and spam from MeowSpace.com!
laugh.gif
Consider it done. I'd rather be safe than sorry right?

rbriand

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
Nice stand!

Hi,

I do a little design myself and liked what you did in metal. I'm likely to try it in wood soon.

Please excuse my alternate reason for this reply, but I'm new to the forums here, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to start a post. I registered and got the e-mail to respond to finish the process, but now I'm back on the forum with a burning question and at a dead end with no sign of a posting place in sight. Could someone please enlighten this forum neophyte?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I can't for the life of me figure out how to start a post. I registered and got the e-mail to respond to finish the process, but now I'm back on the forum with a burning question and at a dead end with no sign of a posting place in sight. Could someone please enlighten this forum neophyte?

https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us#How_do_I_post.3F
Pay special attention to step 1:
1. Browse or search the forums to see if there is already a thread on the topic. If so, post there instead of creating a new thread.
If you use MRoogle to search the forums, you'll find most of your questions have already been answered in existing threads.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Nice one. As I don't have a garage, welder equipment nor much experience with welding things, I was happy with a pile of books until my wife suggested to use my cheap (100 pesos, about 7-9 USD) plastic Kensington book stand for that purpose. The stand, when totally laid back, is perfect for my MB (completely open) paired with wireless keyboard and mouse.

At first I was worried about the stand being sturdy enough to keep my mac secure in position, but it's perfect for the job.

My wife is much happier now that I don't "steal" her books for my stand. :p

Attachments

• Kensington_insight.JPG
    Kensington_insight.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 3,407

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Very cool - I was tinkering this summer and decided to make a wooden laptop rest from a piece of old tongue and groove I had spare. It took me less than an hour.

I usually sit with the MB on my lap and the heat would build up so I decided to raise it a little on a platform. The screws are all countersunk, naturally to avoid scratches on the MB.

P6210071b.jpg

Step 2
P6210074b.jpg

Step 3
P6210075b.jpg

Step 4
P6210076b.jpg

Step 5
P6210077b.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.