Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somecows

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2003
Charlottesville, VA
Hi,

I really dislike iPhoto and was wondering if anyone is aware of any (free) software out there that I can use to view my digital photos. The reason I don't like iPhoto is that it tries to organize my photos for me - it moves them around, puts them in different folders, organizes them according to date, etc. Also, it doesn't play movies, which many digital cameras can take, these days.

I used to use software that came with my Leica digital camera called exif viewer but I can't seem to find a version for X. The reason I liked it was that it didn't organize my photos - I could just select any folder I wanted and it would allow me to view the images in that folder, nice and simple.

So, I am looking for something like that.

Thanks

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
in iphoto you can:
view -> arrange photos -> manually

only thing is you can't do that in the library view
i don't know of any alternatives maybe others can help you there

reality

edit: if you are annoyed with iPhoto's speed, or lack there of, consider iPhoto 4. wonders faster. i couldn't bare to use it before but know i do all the time

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The only alternatives I know are professional and cost quite a lot:

Extensis Portfolio and Canto Cumulus.

Cumulus was just recently released in a Mac OS X version, while Portfolio has been Mac OS X-compatible for a year or so.

Yes, they're expensive; however, they handle all kinds of media, not just photos.

somecows

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2003
Charlottesville, VA
Originally posted by realityisterror
in iphoto you can:
view -> arrange photos -> manually

Hi,

When I go to view -> arrange photos -> manually the "manually" option is grayed out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your reply.

ephramz

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2004
several options

Yes that can be annoying that iPhoto has to make a copy of every single photo you add to its library. Would be nice if there was an option to keep the photos in their original photos like in iTunes, and to view movies.

Check out iView Multimedia Pro (http://www.iview-multimedia.com/) which I think will do most of the things you want, but it is $160. They also have a cheaper version just called iView Media for $30. Both can handle video and audio files.

Extensis Portfolio is a professional photo solution, but I'm not sure it can handle video.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
RE: iPhoto alternatves

Hey, not sure if this will be helpful but...you might like Pic2Icon 1.x It is not exactly what you are looking for but it makes 128x128-pixel icons for image files so you can browse your folders of images. Reads many file types...and it is free. If you can spend a little, I recommend iView MediaPro(about $50 downloaded). Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.