Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbroo46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Hi everybody,
im a long time user, first time poster!

I have a touchscreen iMac G3 bondi tray-load, and an iMac G3 Snow Slot Load. The Tray-load G3 no longer turns on :mad: !!!!. I was wondering if it is possible to put the touchscreen from the G3 tray-load into the G3 Slot-load?? Are there any instructions for doing this? has anyone done it previously?

The other reason i want to do this is because the tray-load is only 4GB running OS9 and the Slot-Load is 40GB running Tiger(OS X10.4)!!!

Please help me ASAP, i have a party coming up and i want to WOO my friends with a touchscreen iMac.

Thanks for your help, Jake

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
NO, it's "PICS OR ****!". In all reality though I have no idea what in the world this guy is talking about. I actually googled it and nothing useful. I am subscribing to this JUST in case, I'm officially intrigued... :confused:

NickEm009

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2007
Macintosh Portable
Touch screens do not have to be LCD. In fact many music stores have an eMac on display, which uses a CRT, and is has full touch screen capibalitites. I did Google "touch screen imac g3" and found an interesting article about Elo- iTouch touchscreen on their website, http://www.elotouch.com/Products/Touchscreens/ITouch/default.asp. I didn't read too much into the article, but I think you can take the HDD out of the working iMac, and possibly the power supply if that is the reason the original touch screen iMac won't turn on, and put it into the original iMac. Good luck and great job on such a rare :apple:!

lucidstar

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
wi
yes you can, and this is how.
first you need to find out what who made the touch screen imac that you have, there are few company's in the 90s that made touch screens for imacs, the biggest being elo, if it is a elo touch screen then you are good to go they made the itouch, but if its not then you may be in for a hard time, for elo is the only one who used the- http://www.elotouch.com/Products/Tou...ch/default.asp . if it is another company then they used the touch cover for the screen and there is no way you are getting that off.
any ways you need to take the imac apart and use a vary sharp razor to remove the 4 nodes around the monitor, "be vary carful not to crack one of the nodes" then when you have fully extracted the itouch then it is time to prep it with goo gone clean off the nodes of any glue that is on them and shine them up vary good, the wires for them are vary small so be carful, if you already have the other imac taken apart then simply glue the nodes in the same locations as where on the other imac, use a vary light clear glue and you do not need much.
the only downfall to the itouch is that there are only drivers for os 9.1 os x 10.4 and 10.5.
what i did was use a studio display crt and put my itouch on that and use it on my g4 with 10.4 due to its built in usb the studio display was a good choice, elo makes drivers for the 10.5 but they are listed as untested and
though i have tested them i have found that they are no good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.