Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 10, 2008, 02:38 AM   #1
jbroo46
macrumors newbie

iMac G3 touchscreen tray-load

Hi everybody,
im a long time user, first time poster!

I have a touchscreen iMac G3 bondi tray-load, and an iMac G3 Snow Slot Load. The Tray-load G3 no longer turns on !!!!. I was wondering if it is possible to put the touchscreen from the G3 tray-load into the G3 Slot-load?? Are there any instructions for doing this? has anyone done it previously?

The other reason i want to do this is because the tray-load is only 4GB running OS9 and the Slot-Load is 40GB running Tiger(OS X10.4)!!!

Please help me ASAP, i have a party coming up and i want to WOO my friends with a touchscreen iMac.

Thanks for your help, Jake
jbroo46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:21 AM   #2
Rapmastac1
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Rapmastac1 Send a message via MSN to Rapmastac1
Touchscreen?! On a G3? But the G3 was a crt, I believe that is not possible. Wucha talkin' bout Willis?
Rapmastac1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 07:44 PM   #3
bc008
macrumors 68000

touchscreen?

pics or it didnt happen
Old Nov 10, 2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Rapmastac1
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Rapmastac1 Send a message via MSN to Rapmastac1
NO, it's "PICS OR ****!". In all reality though I have no idea what in the world this guy is talking about. I actually googled it and nothing useful. I am subscribing to this JUST in case, I'm officially intrigued...
Rapmastac1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:40 AM   #5
NickEm009
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to NickEm009
Touch screens do not have to be LCD. In fact many music stores have an eMac on display, which uses a CRT, and is has full touch screen capibalitites. I did Google "touch screen imac g3" and found an interesting article about Elo- iTouch touchscreen on their website, http://www.elotouch.com/Products/Tou...ch/default.asp. I didn't read too much into the article, but I think you can take the HDD out of the working iMac, and possibly the power supply if that is the reason the original touch screen iMac won't turn on, and put it into the original iMac. Good luck and great job on such a rare !
NickEm009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:29 PM   #6
ickystay
macrumors regular

Thanks, NickEm009. That's really cool!
PB G3 Pismo 400MHz 1GB OSX 10.3.9 OS 9.2.2
ickystay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:54 PM   #7
lucidstar
macrumors newbie

yes you can, and this is how.
first you need to find out what who made the touch screen imac that you have, there are few company's in the 90s that made touch screens for imacs, the biggest being elo, if it is a elo touch screen then you are good to go they made the itouch, but if its not then you may be in for a hard time, for elo is the only one who used the- http://www.elotouch.com/Products/Tou...ch/default.asp . if it is another company then they used the touch cover for the screen and there is no way you are getting that off.
any ways you need to take the imac apart and use a vary sharp razor to remove the 4 nodes around the monitor, "be vary carful not to crack one of the nodes" then when you have fully extracted the itouch then it is time to prep it with goo gone clean off the nodes of any glue that is on them and shine them up vary good, the wires for them are vary small so be carful, if you already have the other imac taken apart then simply glue the nodes in the same locations as where on the other imac, use a vary light clear glue and you do not need much.
the only downfall to the itouch is that there are only drivers for os 9.1 os x 10.4 and 10.5.
what i did was use a studio display crt and put my itouch on that and use it on my g4 with 10.4 due to its built in usb the studio display was a good choice, elo makes drivers for the 10.5 but they are listed as untested and
though i have tested them i have found that they are no good.
lucidstar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs