Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 9, 2004, 01:41 PM   #1
jfruh
macrumors member

point-of-sale software for the mac?

Hi there - not sure if this is quite the right forum for this question, but it seemed to fit best, so here goes ... apologies if it isn't....

I am helping a friend of mine set up her very small (two-person) business. I will be advising her and her partner on technology issues. I am prone to advise them to get a Mac or Macs for reasons that are obvious to all of us here; however, one thing that they would definitely need would be cash register-type software (which I believe is generally referred to as "point-of-sale".) A somewhat cursory Web search has come up with some products, but the Web pages don't look terribly professional and many seem to be for specialized industries. Anyone have any experiences using a Mac as a point-of-sale terminal (among other things) that they'd like to share? Are some packages better than others?

To add some context, my friends will be running a high-end custom framing shop; thus, they'll be dealing with few high-end transactions rather than many low-end ones.

Thanks in advnace,
jf
jfruh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 02:03 PM   #2
Counterfit
macrumors 601

I know such software exists, but since it's so specialized a market, it's hard to find. You could see someone at a nearby Apple store and see what they have to say...
Old Feb 9, 2004, 05:50 PM   #3
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Re: point-of-sale software for the mac?

Quote:
Originally posted by jfruh
Hi there - not sure if this is quite the right forum for this question, but it seemed to fit best, so here goes ... apologies if it isn't....

I am helping a friend of mine set up her very small (two-person) business. I will be advising her and her partner on technology issues. I am prone to advise them to get a Mac or Macs for reasons that are obvious to all of us here; however, one thing that they would definitely need would be cash register-type software (which I believe is generally referred to as "point-of-sale".) A somewhat cursory Web search has come up with some products, but the Web pages don't look terribly professional and many seem to be for specialized industries. Anyone have any experiences using a Mac as a point-of-sale terminal (among other things) that they'd like to share? Are some packages better than others?

To add some context, my friends will be running a high-end custom framing shop; thus, they'll be dealing with few high-end transactions rather than many low-end ones.

Thanks in advnace,
jf
Take a look at this Apple web page.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 10:54 PM   #4
saabmp3
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to saabmp3
There's a store in Grand Haven MI, downtown on the strip called the harbor store, or something to that effect, they sell Marine equipment. They have a iMac as their point of sale unit and it operates a drawer automatically and everything. If you get really desperate, you could look them up in the phone book and call them.

Basically, this post proves that there are professional versions of software out there to do what you want atleast.

BEN
saabmp3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 11:05 PM   #5
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Re: Re: point-of-sale software for the mac?

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterMe
Take a look at this Apple web page.
Looks like some good stuff there
Old Feb 10, 2004, 01:18 AM   #6
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

I'm sure you'll be able to find some POS software for the Mac but by and large POS software is on Windows.

Lethal
LethalWolfe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store