Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atrael

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
So I've been watching the discussions about hacking my :apple:TV and putting on Boxee and how it's the greatest thing ever. But I haven't seen anyone actually talk about the qualtiy of the content. Hulu can be hit or miss on my laptop, I don't really want to watch a pixilated TV show on my 50inch HDTV. So how do things like Hulu or Comedy Central look on a large HDTV?

Thanks.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
So I've been watching the discussions about hacking my :apple:TV and putting on Boxee and how it's the greatest thing ever. But I haven't seen anyone actually talk about the qualtiy of the content. Hulu can be hit or miss on my laptop, I don't really want to watch a pixilated TV show on my 50inch HDTV. So how do things like Hulu or Comedy Central look on a large HDTV?

Thanks.

Not sure how boxee would look on an aTV, but just yesterday, I watch "Fringe" on my Sharp 46" 1080p HDTV (from about 7 feet away) via my Macbook. Looked pretty good (at least as good as a DVD). Note that I was watching the 480p feed and not all shows have that option.

ft

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Not sure how boxee would look on an aTV, but just yesterday, I watch "Fringe" on my Sharp 46" 1080p HDTV (from about 7 feet away) via my Macbook. Looked pretty good (at least as good as a DVD). Note that I was watching the 480p feed and not all shows have that option.

ft

IIRC, Hulu on Boxee for ATV doesn't use the 480p stream, but the 320p one. I think it has something to do with the ATV not being able to handle it properly. I've watched a few Hulu shows and the quality is ok, but not great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.