Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
There was a good deal of interest in a photo in the last contest thread that used a tilt-shift effect. So I thought it would be fun to start a thread where we can post our attempts at creating Lilliputian worlds with tilt-shift lenses or post-processing that mimics their effects.

Here's my first attempt:

OlympieionAerial_TS2.jpg

I just did this one quickly to try it out. I'll attempt another one when I have more time. :)

Anyone else have one to share?

P.S. Here's a decent tutorial.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Great pitcure, loves the way it draws you in and focuses on the ancient site.

There always seems to be attention when some posts a tilt shift. I seem to remeber it coming up about a year or so ago. At the time I started playing around with post editing and created these two out of curiosity.

Not the greatest (think I went with too narrow a band) but a bit of fun. That is me in the second picture :)

Attachments

• IMGP0233.jpg
    IMGP0233.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMGP0181.jpg
    IMGP0181.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 187

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
couple more images

some artists to look at for this effect if you're curious:

keith carter
olivo barbieri
esteban pastorino diaz
lori nix

anyone have any other names to check out?

Attachments

• sidewalk_steps.jpg
    sidewalk_steps.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 170
  • steps_to_green_light.jpg
    steps_to_green_light.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 200

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
This effect is soo nice, all of those pictures look like taken from a miniature ;)
Looking at these picture reminds me of the Miniature killer from CSI (now I know how they get such detailed models :D)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your first one! This one how did you get selective? I have always wanted to do circular instead of a straigh line :eek:

Thanks, ipodtoucher! Here's what the mask looks like for my Dubrovnik picture:

DubrovnikMask.jpg

You can get any shape you want by painting the alpha channel in different shades of grey for different levels of blur.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Yes, it'd be interesting to know what lens you're using - e.g. is it a real tilt-shift, a Lens Baby, etc.

This "miniature" effect is quite interesting, but there are other things you can do with a tilt-shift. Bjørn Rorslett has some stunning photos he's taken with one.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Yes, it'd be interesting to know what lens you're using - e.g. is it a real tilt-shift, a Lens Baby, etc.

This "miniature" effect is quite interesting, but there are other things you can do with a tilt-shift. Bjørn Rorslett has some stunning photos he's taken with one.

Yeah, good point. We should at least mention what route we took. Mine are all Photoshop creations, so the lens makes no difference. For example, here's one I made from a point-and-shoot photo:

(Lindos Town, Rhodes)

LindosRooftops3_TS.jpg

movieman76

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2006
couple more images

some artists to look at for this effect if you're curious:

keith carter
olivo barbieri
esteban pastorino diaz
lori nix

anyone have any other names to check out?

Vincent Laforet has done some as well.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
well i used photoshop on mine, i cant seem to figure out the different shades of blur, in this case i wanted to make it more stronger and blurier from the outside to lighter towards the middle like how Phrasikleia did, but im too dumb to use masks and stuff. i did set the strength to 100 but i wanted more power! lol oh well, this was a 1st try for me

DSC00044.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
well i used photoshop on mine, i cant seem to figure out the different shades of blur, in this case i wanted to make it more stronger and blurier from the outside to lighter towards the middle like how Phrasikleia did, but im too dumb to use masks and stuff. i did set the strength to 100 but i wanted more power! lol oh well, this was a 1st try for me

DSC00044.jpg

I think your photo came out really well! Using a mask is easy. Here's how you do it:

1) Go to the channel palette and press the "new" button to create a new alpha channel.

2) Use the gradient tool to paint a gradient from black to white to black on that channel.

3) Then in the Lens Blur filter controls, select your gradient channel ("Alpha 1", unless you renamed it) as the "Source" in the "Depth Map" area. If the wrong areas are blurred, click "Invert" there too.

4) Play with the "Radius" slider until you get the degree of blur that looks best.

5) If you see that some areas need selective attention, cancel out of the Lens Blur filter and do some more painting on your alpha channel. Experiment with different shades of grey on your alpha channel.

Repeat steps 3-5 until you get the right effect.

Have fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.