Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 10, 2008, 07:31 PM   #1
jmac172
macrumors newbie

Post iMac G3 Hard Drive/Memory/Airport Issue

Hey everyone,
This is not my first post about this issue on the web, but I haven't gotten any exact answers yet. Here is the problem: I have an iMac G3 600 Mhz that either a.) freezes on Spotlight at startup or b.) will attempt to spin the hard drive and will beep twice consecutively without any luck. A few months ago, I installed an extra 256 mb RAM to complement the other 256 piece that was already there. This is when the problems first began. Until then, I had had no issues (a.k.a. the drive issues). I then installed an old AirPort card that worked just fine. Recently, the computer will hang or beep. I read that RAM may corrupt the spotlight database, so I removed it. Issue persisted. I then noticed that it freezes when Airport status is being loaded onto the Menu Bar (right after Spotlight's deal), so I removed it as well. Spotlight problem gone. Why? I don't know. Answers, please! The disk problem is still verryyy real. It will attempt to start, stutter, then beep twice. The only reason I'm still wondering whether or not the drive is dead is because of the number of beeps. I've read that two beeps mean incompatible RAM. How can this be? The system is back to its original configuration at the time of purchase with the same RAM card in the same slot. I know this is a long post, but it also needs some explaining. To anyone that will help, thank you very much.
jmac172 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs