Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Feb 9, 2004, 04:29 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Hypertransport Updated

CNet reports that a new version of the Hypertransport specification was released today.

Hypertransport 2.0 is capable of transfering up to 22.4 gigabytes/second while the current incarnation of Hypertransport maxes out at 12.8 gigabytes a second.

Apple has recently adopted Hypertransport for their PowerMac G5 interconnects.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 04:31 PM   #2
settledown
macrumors regular

what does that really mean as far as system speed goes?
settledown is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 04:31 PM   #3
jessefoxperry
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to jessefoxperry Send a message via Yahoo to jessefoxperry
dear god thats fast
Old Feb 9, 2004, 04:31 PM   #4
lind0834
macrumors regular

New G5s any day?
lind0834 is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 04:34 PM   #5
KEL9000
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally posted by settledown
what does that really mean as far as system speed goes?
increased data throughput
KEL9000 is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 04:38 PM   #6
bobindashadows
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to bobindashadows
Quote:
Originally posted by jessefoxperry
dear god thats fast
yeah, I'll second that. That's a tad on the speedy side.
bobindashadows is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 04:39 PM   #7
Mav451
macrumors 68000

Hold up. I know the G5's back in August use the same HT technology (i guess spec 1 if this is "2.0") as the Opterons have been using since April.

This probably means that they are definitely prepping for a legitimate launch on the desktop--whether it be a speed bump or revision. A dual 2.2G5 is pretty much automatic and would not be much of a suprise if it was announced anytime soon.

I don't see why they would put this into the existing G5 system because that would lead to an entirely new motherboard...pretty much tossing ou the Rev B argument. New technology usually leads to a new product, not a simple revision...
Old Feb 9, 2004, 04:39 PM   #8
RBMaraman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by lind0834
New G5s any day?
I'm betting we'll see new G5's tomorrow.

Apple was probably just waiting for this announcement because they didn't want to release machines with the technology before the technology was officially announced.
RBMaraman is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 04:41 PM   #9
AirUncleP
macrumors regular

I'm not sure what this exactly means but I like it.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 04:44 PM   #10
yoman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by AirUncleP
I'm not sure what this exactly means but I like it.
I couldn't agree more.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 04:46 PM   #11
VectorWarrior
macrumors newbie

If this is related to new powermacs then surely they would be available immediatly. If there is to be an announcement and then a waiting period why announce this now and not later when the units actually ship.
VectorWarrior is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 04:56 PM   #12
jholzner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by RBMaraman
I'm betting we'll see new G5's tomorrow.

Apple was probably just waiting for this announcement because they didn't want to release machines with the technology before the technology was officially announced.
Well, I don't think we will be seeing this in ANY machines for at least the next six months.

From the article:

Cavalli would not comment on when companies will come out with products, but sources indicate that products could start coming out toward the end of the year
jholzner is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 04:58 PM   #13
gwangung
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by VectorWarrior
If this is related to new powermacs then surely they would be available immediatly. If there is to be an announcement and then a waiting period why announce this now and not later when the units actually ship.
What he said....

This is a major enough piece of new technology for there to be significant gaps between announcement and implementation. It's not a trivial bit of technology to implement, so there's going to be a signficant time for testing once they've nailed down the specs.
gwangung is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 05:00 PM   #14
stoid
macrumors 68040

The article has a little "products may have this technology by the end of the year disclaimer" at the bottom.

Maybe the 3.0 GHz G5 will sport it though?

If/when the G5 gets shoe-horned into a laptop, will in utilize all the awesome bandwidth features of the G5 desktop? It seems to me that it's the loosening of bottlenecks that really adds to the G5's speed.
stoid is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 05:03 PM   #15
The Dreaming
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to The Dreaming
hmmm?

Do you think we'll see a PM update before this technology is implemented? I sure hope this feature is in store for the next G5 revision. Anybody see it happening?
The Dreaming is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 05:12 PM   #16
Hemingray
macrumors 68030

Yeah, I agree, I think it's a bit premature to think that Apple will instantly be coming out with new G5's that use Hypertransport 2.0. I'd love it, but I'm certainly not betting on it.

As to how this all calculates out, does anyone know if the current G5's are even close to max-ing out the current Hypertransport bandwidth? I'm also assuming that, like with FireWire or USB, Hypertransport 1.x can't be upgraded to 2.0.
Hemingray is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 05:20 PM   #17
RBMaraman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by jholzner
Well, I don't think we will be seeing this in ANY machines for at least the next six months.

From the article:

Cavalli would not comment on when companies will come out with products, but sources indicate that products could start coming out toward the end of the year
Wait...You thought I was talking about Hypertransport...LOL! Oh my Gosh! I so totally was talking about another technology! LOL! Oh my Gosh! I can't believe you fell for it!

<Silence>

<Silence>

<Crickets Chirp>

Yeah, I'm just trying to keep myself from sounding like a complete idiot. I guess I should really learn to read the articles before I start posting.
RBMaraman is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 05:23 PM   #18
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Re: hmmm?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Dreaming
Do you think we'll see a PM update before this technology is implemented? I sure hope this feature is in store for the next G5 revision. Anybody see it happening?
completely ignored almost all the posts in this thread, didn't we?

i echo the 3ghz system... but i don't think this will change the G5 form factor. It's not a new technology, just a new/improved standard.

paul
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 05:24 PM   #19
kettle
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to kettle
interconnects

what would this do for a cluster similar to the Virginia Tech setup?
kettle is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 05:27 PM   #20
pilotgi
macrumors regular

We won't be seeing any computers with this new technology for a while. It's going to do away with the agp slot.

Know anywhere you can get a graphics card that doesn't use agp or pci?
Old Feb 9, 2004, 05:30 PM   #21
spinner
macrumors regular

looks like another reason to wait for DP 3.0 gHz PM's
Old Feb 9, 2004, 05:55 PM   #22
floatingspirit
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingspirit
Quote:
Originally posted by spinner
looks like another reason to wait for DP 3.0 gHz PM's
Oh man! Not another reason for "waiting"!!
Old Feb 9, 2004, 06:08 PM   #23
AVON
macrumors newbie

Unhappy So...

How soon are updated G5s coming... I'm wanting to a top of the line in about 2 months...
AVON is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 06:10 PM   #24
andyduncan
macrumors regular

Re: interconnects

Quote:
Originally posted by kettle
what would this do for a cluster similar to the Virginia Tech setup?
Different type of "interconnect." Hypertransport is (primarily?) internal, ie it's for communication between chips on the motherboard of each computer/node, rather than a connection between nodes (such as infiniband). That said, it would make each individual node faster, and therefore increase the speed of the overall cluster.
andyduncan is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2004, 06:28 PM   #25
centauratlas
macrumors 6502a

There are several benefits to this technology, most notably is for MP machines.

Think about this, the more bandwidth going in and out of the processor, the more data you can crunch. For example, getting to main memory is faster etc. (e.g. this isn't just between the CPU and main memory).

But, you say, isn't 12.8 gigabytes/second enough even for a 3GHz processor? For almost every application that would be more than enough even with 64 bit accesses. In all likelihood it would be pretty good for even a dual 3GHz machine, even using vector instructions, for 99% of the desktop applications. However, for dual or more processors, running at >3GHz, it might not.

I would say it would be particularly useful for things like Xserves used in a supercomputer where there is lots of data to be crunched. This would include things like the Virginia Tech machine, rendering farms (e.g. think Pixar) and the like. This is where most of the benefit would go. (It wouldn't help the speed *between* machines in the cluster, but would speed up each individual machine).

The other area it will help is for dual core CPUs when we see them. For example, you might have a two dual core CPUs which would roughly equate to a quad processor. They would need lots of bandwidth.

I'll be interested in seeing these machines whenever they come out - probably 9-12 months, although like everyone, I'd love a G5 PB (or an Apple branded cell phone) with it tomorrow. ;-)
centauratlas is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)