Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 11, 2008, 01:28 PM   #1
cksbcville
macrumors newbie

G5 Quad vs Mac Pro Quad for P-tools

Hi - I am basically trying to build a Pro Tools mixing station. I just purchased a used quad core power pc. I thought I HAD to have the G5 to run the plugins I have - turns out there are updates that work with the plugins and use the same validation key.. so my question is whether people think it is worth it to return the G5 and spend about $500 more to get a intel based machine.

My big worry is that I am investing in a dead technology, I believe the G5 will be able to do everything I want in pro tools, however, I am worried that new plug ins will not be compatible with the G5.

Anyway, I have to decide here in the next few days whether to send this machine back or not - so I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Also, I a fairly new the Macs (just as a disclaimer). I have used windows boxes for a long time - but recently got a lot more serious about music production and switched first to a G4 laptop (which I love and has just run out of power for mixing in pro tools).
cksbcville is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Pixellated
macrumors 65816

Heck yes. Your G5 would be owned by even an MBA!
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:05 PM   #3
apple2E
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixellated View Post
awwwwwwwe sad! Not to thread jack, but pixellated, how is that hackintosh? I'm interested in one soon! Maybe that could be a better deal for the threadstarter also?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:26 PM   #4
cksbcville
macrumors newbie

hackintosh

Hmm.. I had not considered that - how is yours working and would you recommend that solution to someone with decent computer experience but limited Mac experience?

Does it run complex apps (Pro Tools with plugins, Final Cut etc) reliably?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:41 PM   #5
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
hackintosh, as the name implies, requires a lot of "hacking". Most ppl do it for fun, and only some use it as their "main machine". The Mac Pro will be a better choice than a G5 PPC.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:44 PM   #6
iToaster
macrumors 68000

The Mac Pro will kill a Power Mac G5 at any task. No, a MBA is not as powerful as a G5 quad, the quad G5 is about as powerful as a MBP.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:45 PM   #7
nick9191
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixellated View Post
Or not.

Quad G5 will still toast the MBA, Mini, 2 of the 3 Macbooks, and possibly the other Macbook, baseline Macbook Pro, and baseline iMac depending on whether the apps you use are multi threaded.
nick9191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:51 PM   #8
cksbcville
macrumors newbie

...wait to get a used one or pull the trigger?

Sounds like I am looking at getting a used Mac Pro (everyone seems to recommend that against the G5) since the new ones are so darn expensive... what is the general take on after market prices dropping in correlation to new Mac Pros? (Seems like they are expecting a new Mac Pro soon.. so should I wait for that and the used prices to drop - or will the used prices not drop for months after the new Mac Pros come out?)

(as you can tell -- I really dont know much about Macs other than that they are great for Pro Tools).
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:58 PM   #9
apple2E
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
hackintosh, as the name implies, requires a lot of "hacking". Most ppl do it for fun, and only some use it as their "main machine". The Mac Pro will be a better choice than a G5 PPC.
What about psystar's open computer? Can't that be used without hacking?
Old Nov 12, 2008, 01:25 AM   #10
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

Which one

I am goning to assume you mean ProTools LE. Is this with a MBox 2, 003 or what hardware?

Current laptops can do quite alot in Protools LE. My Blackbook 2.0Ghz is close and faster sometimes then my friend's Dual G5.

I also think the Intel chips are more plug-in efficient than the PowerPC machines. I would go for the Intel bc it will last longer.

Check out:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/

It's a music production forum.
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice