Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
CA
So I have the last revision of the 12" Powerbook G4. I bought it when it first came out, maybe ~5 years ago?

Aside from needing a new battery and AC power cord, this lappy has been running like a champ for the last 5 years. No problems.

How long can I expect to keep this laptop going before it "craps out" ???

I'm saving up for a new Macbook in December... one more month to go!

smokestack

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
depends.
my girlfriend's ibook G4 12' (last rev) is starting to chug when doing much more than word processing and light web surfing.
your powerbook has a bit more RAM/processing power than that....

but,it all depends on what you're doing with it.

so, you tell us.

(if you want to unload the powerbook to fund the new macbook, PM me.)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No one can say for sure, but I'd go with a really damn long time bearing in mind that the drive may need to be replaced along the way. Over time the screen will being to dim a little.

PS. last year I gifted a 500mhz iBook to a friend and it was running like a champ.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The final version of the 12" PowerBook came out in January 2005, so yours should not be even four years old yet. I'm still using a first generation 12" PowerBook which is now over five years old. The screen has dimmed a bit, but otherwise it works fine for such an old laptop. I haven't even replaced the battery.

Scottological

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Denver, CO
I have a 1.33 Ghz 15" PowerBook G4 that has lasted for well over four years. Aside from a catastrophic hard drive failure last year, it's been great. (I swapped the standard 60 GB one for a 150 GB drive and all has been well since.)

My very first Mac - a Mac Classic with all of 2 MB of RAM and a 40 MB hard drive - still fires up and works fine. And I bought that piece of beige excellence back in '91 when I was heading off to college.

I'd hold on to that 12" lappy and refurb it as necessary. It's a desirable and still attractive little netbook.

manuel.mx

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
i was using for the last 4 months a 12"powerbook, the very last revision with 1.5Gb of ram and it worked good with leopard.

However, I was unable to run Aperture on it, and I managed to get it to run by editing the program to do so, but its performance was low when dealing with big photo files and that was my biggest reason to change to the new macbook.

For general purpose, the powerbook was more than ok, however I was a bit unhappy by its flash performance and see youtube videos a bit frozen on their playback, aside for that, it was still very usable.

I had it with Leopard on it, yet I read that such systems would perform better with Tiger.

I dont know how much it is going to last, but apple's program slowly are ditching such processors, some program from ilife wont install on it, aperture wont install on it either, unless you edit them.

And as far as I know Snow Leopard wont support the powerpc architecture, so maybe Leopard will be the farther it can go.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
They may support it before it's all over.

My 15" PowerBook just turned five two months ago (Sept 30th), it's still an amazing machine and is running just like the day I bought it. There are many PowerBooks that are 8 and still running, yours will last a long time.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
I recently upgraded from a 1.33GHz 12" Powerbook to a black MacBook (refurb, last revision). My PB lasted me 3 years, 8 months. Everything was still working but I wanted a faster system - Illustrator and Keynote were getting slow, some compressed videos were playing choppily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.