Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:58 PM   #1
PowerFullMac
macrumors 68040

Can I do iPhone apps in C?

...Or is it only Objective-C?

Last edited by PowerFullMac; Nov 12, 2008 at 01:08 PM.
PowerFullMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 01:28 PM   #2
jnic
macrumors 6502a

I suppose technically you could; Objective-C is a "strict superset" of C, meaning that any C you write will compile quite happily.

However, by doing so you're basically shooting yourself in the foot. For the most part it's a very simple addition, and if you know C already then you'll have no trouble. Also, in order to have access to the SDK libraries (i.e. to actually do anything) you're going to need to use Objective-C.

Here's a very nice (and short) primer on Objective-C: http://www.cocoadevcentral.com/d/learn_objectivec/
jnic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 01:32 PM   #3
PowerFullMac
macrumors 68040

OK then, well I am learning C now simply because it will allow me to do a lot. After learning it I will read the Objective-C one, if its really that simple theres no problem.

Success and riches here I come
PowerFullMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 01:37 PM   #4
firewood
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerFullMac View Post
...Or is it only Objective-C?
Objective-C is a wrapper (translator and object runtime) around C. You can write most of an app in plain C, but can only interface with the iPhone UI using Cocoa, which can only be called using Obj-C. In the general case, you can't get any user input except that which is sent to an Obj-C object, and can't do any display drawing except when an Obj-C object is called. The rest of the app can be written in C if you want.

I have some apps which are almost all C, except for a few files which do the Cocoa UI glue.

firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming