Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 12, 2008, 02:04 PM   #1
Triplenickle
Banned

[forum software] Starting a discussion forum for my photo group...and

where do I begin?

I believe I need software phpBB, vbulletin, etc and a host... I have only macs, thus are any of these option mac compatible? Am I on the right track?

Suggestions? recommendations?

Thanks
Mark

Last edited by Blue Velvet; Nov 12, 2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: clarifying thread title
Triplenickle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 02:19 PM   #2
JNB
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to JNB
+1 for phpBB. Free, and very fully-featured. All you need is a host that supports mySQL (I use 1&1 Linux hosting) and an FTP client (or you could just do it from Terminal, but I'm lazy). Stupid simple.

JNB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Triplenickle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNotBeatle View Post
+1 for phpBB. Free, and very fully-featured. All you need is a host that supports mySQL (I use 1&1 Linux hosting) and an FTP client (or you could just do it from Terminal, but I'm lazy). Stupid simple.
Thanks. What do you mean by from Terminal? I am clearly a newbie in trying to start this forum.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 08:57 PM   #4
JNB
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to JNB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplenickle View Post
Thanks. What do you mean by from Terminal? I am clearly a newbie in trying to start this forum.
Terminal is the app that accesses the CLI (command-line interface) of Unix that the Mac GUI sits on top of. Just get Cyberduck or Forklift or Fetch or one of the many other cheap (or free) GUI FTP clients out there. If you're not used to working in a CLI, now's not the time to start when production is at stake.

JNB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:07 PM   #5
TheKnifeFight
macrumors member

I would HIGHLY advise you not to use 1and1.com. I used it, hated it. It was slow and they oversell their shared servers. There are literally hundreds of hosts out there and noone is going to give you the name of the best host..because there is none. There is only what is best for you. Pricing/space/etc all come into play. Check the web developer forum on this site for help on hosts. I would recommend asmallorange.com or bluehost.com

Next, the software you use to run your site. How much are you willing to spend? No limit? Then go Vbulletin (i use it, this site uses it, many other big forums use it). If you're looking for a something simple and cheap..phpbb is fairly good and stable. There are others as well but its up to what you want to do with the site.

Lastly, you'll need a FTP program to upload the files from your computer to your server. The hosting company gives you information to log into their server and you will then upload the forum software as well as whatever else you want on the site. It's fairly straightforward if you invest some time into it. As for programs (Transmit, Fetch, YummyFTP, Filezilla) all range from free to $$. Again, it's up to you.

PHP files are not PC or Mac specific. Any forum software will work.
TheKnifeFight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:31 PM   #6
Triplenickle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnifeFight View Post
I would HIGHLY advise you not to use 1and1.com. I used it, hated it. It was slow and they oversell their shared servers. There are literally hundreds of hosts out there and noone is going to give you the name of the best host..because there is none. There is only what is best for you. Pricing/space/etc all come into play. Check the web developer forum on this site for help on hosts. I would recommend asmallorange.com or bluehost.com

Next, the software you use to run your site. How much are you willing to spend? No limit? Then go Vbulletin (i use it, this site uses it, many other big forums use it). If you're looking for a something simple and cheap..phpbb is fairly good and stable. There are others as well but its up to what you want to do with the site.

Lastly, you'll need a FTP program to upload the files from your computer to your server. The hosting company gives you information to log into their server and you will then upload the forum software as well as whatever else you want on the site. It's fairly straightforward if you invest some time into it. As for programs (Transmit, Fetch, YummyFTP, Filezilla) all range from free to $$. Again, it's up to you.

PHP files are not PC or Mac specific. Any forum software will work.
Thanks, This is what I needed to know.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store