Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
First off let me say that I am an owner of the following cases for the iPhone 3G:

SwitchEasy Capsule Rebel
Agent 18 Eco Case
DLO Jam Jacket
iSkin Revo 2
iSkin Fuze for 3G

Out of all of the above I found myself using the Revo 2 the most and while the Fuze just came out it had it's fair share of flaws (for me) that kept me from using it.

However with that being said I recently stumbled across the Element Liquid case and WOW this thing has blown away all my expectations. First off let me warn you, it is probably one of the more expensive cases out there at $99 but you are paying the premium because these cases are made to order and offer a supreme level of protection as well as stunning design elements.

The case has a special "Flip Lid" that is translucent acrylic and comes in many different colors. It is easy to flip on and off and is see through so you can determine who is calling you before you lift off the lid.

My color selection was the Liquid Silver with a Red Lid. Let me tell you, when the phone is on with the lid it gives off a really cool glow that has to be seen in person to appreaciate. I'll be taking some pictures of mine and posting it here shortly in addition to posting a YouTube video over this weekend. If you have been looking for a case that provides protection and style this is it.

Again, these cases are made to order in the USA and Shipping only took a few days for my order. I can finally say, my search for the ultimate case is over.

http://www.elementcase.com/index.php/liquid

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
interesting case... but it looks way to bulky for me.. and does it even fit in your pocket?? it looks really thick...

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
It adds a little bit of bulk but not so much that it can't be pocketed. If you are used to silicon skins then yes the bulk factor should be considered.

I did some custom work on mine adding some after market lazer etching and I now have a custom Gears of War case for my iPhone. Pics will be up tonight.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
As promised here are some early photos of my case from my site. I will get more pics of much better quality up later. I also forgot to take a pic with the flip lid off so I will do that soon.

Sorry about the size of the images, I will need to make them smaller next time around.

The case is killer!!

Pics at http://www.metagamers.com/?p=753

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Forgot to mention, the flip lids come in multiple colors (Red, Clear, Smoke, Green, Yellow, Orange). I have a smoke colored flip lid that I will try to get pics up soon.

corykane

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
That is a sweet looking case! Can't wait for more pics. Can you take a pic of the front without the cover as well?

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
Interesting case...

can you please resize your uploaded pics? they are humongous!!

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Sorry about the size of the photos, I have pulled them from this post for now and linked to my site which has some smaller photos.

I took some new ones last night that are size friendly and will post them tonight.

ggersch

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
I had a few comments on this case that I posted in another thread, but I thought it would make sense to put them here also.

I'm looking for a strong case I can just toss into a bike seat bag or backpack. This is sort of what I was thinking of. But there are three problems with the Liquid case:

1) You need a screwdriver to get the phone in and out of the case. Too much work for something I use sporadically.

2) The lid is only attached by a few magnets, and it's loose. It takes two hands to take it off and either hold it or snap it on the back. I'm sure I'd lose it eventually.

3) It's $99. The quality of construction might justify it, but geez...

If they made a version the iphone just snapped into, with some type of lid flip mechanism, and half the price, it would be perfect. I'd gladly give up the fancy colors and graphics.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Ok I finally got around to taking some new pictures of the case on in better friendly sizes.

Again, craftsmanship is top notch and yes while you do need to flip on and off the lid it is really not that much of a hassle for me. Not sure about the complaint on it being loose as I do not have that issue with mine.

I'll post a YouTube video this weekend to show it and its nifty "Glow" effect with the lid on...very cool indeed.

dscf3153.jpg

dscf3154.jpg

dscf3155.jpg

dscf3156.jpg

dscf3157.jpg

dscf3158.jpg

dscf3159.jpg

dscf3160.jpg

ggersch

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
Just to clarify, by 'loose', I meant untethered.

I'm sure the magnets hold the lid securely. With the obvious quality of the case I didn't mean to imply it was loose in the cheap, sloppy sense.

So, how exactly do you deal with the lid? You have to pop it off to access the screen, which sure looks like a two handed operation. With the added shuffle of then flipping the iphone over to pop it on the back, then reflipping the phone so you can see the face again. (And finally get to sliding the button to answer a call.)

Or am I missing something obvious?

Or, maybe you're a card shark/magician who shuffles card decks with one hand? <grin>

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
No worries, I will try to answer any questions that I can.

Size - yes, it's a larger case but not heavy by any means. I can still pocket the case in my back pocket or shirt pocket.

Answering calls - it is a two handed operation to take the lid off but since I was coming from the iSkin revo 2 it was not a big deal to me since removing the revo2 visor takes two hands and about the same ammount of time.

On your other note, hehe I wish I had those crazy slight of hand magician skills that way Might be able to make a few extra bucks! LOL

Just to clarify, by 'loose', I meant untethered.

I'm sure the magnets hold the lid securely. With the obvious quality of the case I didn't mean to imply it was loose in the cheap, sloppy sense.

So, how exactly do you deal with the lid? You have to pop it off to access the screen, which sure looks like a two handed operation. With the added shuffle of then flipping the iphone over to pop it on the back, then reflipping the phone so you can see the face again. (And finally get to sliding the button to answer a call.)

Or am I missing something obvious?

Or, maybe you're a card shark/magician who shuffles card decks with one hand? <grin>

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Also forgot to mention that if you want to cut down on the bulk the use of the flip lid is totally optional and as a matter of fact the case without it on is not much larger than many of the other hard shell cases out there.

MisterBiggz

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2008
my friends and I purchased three altogether. I talked to Jeff, and since they didn't have the colors we requested in stock, they gave each of us an extra lid. They have excellent customer service. I have the switcheasy neo, rebel, marware flexi-shell, sena magnet flipper, krusell orbit, and speck pixel skin. My friends also have a number of cases from other brands, such as vaja, iskin and ivyskin. We all agree that this will be the last case we purchase. It looks even cooler with a mirror screen protector under the lid, which adds a chrome look to the color of the lid. It looks so unique that people won't recognize it as an iphone. I'd highly recommend it to anyone that has an extra hundred dollars in their pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.