Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Betizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I've enjoyed this forum in several occassions in search of answers or just for fun. However I have a specific issue that came up with my iphone and ask your help.

I've been using my iphone lately on long (duration) calls, on these calls I leave my iphone plugged to the wall charger as to maintain the battery charge and not drain it. However, lately the iphone does not seem to charge anymore while im talking on it or if it does it charges only sometimes. The iphone shows that it is getting power from the outlet but it does not charge the battery and consequently it has died on me a couple of times. I'm just wondering if any of you have run into this issue and what you have done to fix it if anything?

I'm thinking of going to the apple store to have them look at it since its still under the one year warranty but wanted to get your opinions before going in that direction. Thanks for your help!

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
So odd you'd post this today... I just had a 3 hour conf. call and was using my iPhone... I plugged it in and continued the call, thinking it would charge while I was talking..

When the call was over, it was still at the exact same level.

Guess it doesn't charge while talking? Who knew? :confused:

equlizer

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Well this might be different but i was playing fieldrunners for about 2 hours today while charging and when i was done, the phone was fully charged. The center of the phone in the back was a bit warm but thats about it.

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
Is this the 3G iPhone or the original.

I have the original I can tell you that it charges when in a call. I was on the phone for 1hr 30 mins last night and the battery went from being in the red to about half charged according to the battery meter....

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA
:confused:

My 3G charges while talking.

EDIT: See image.

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 131

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I think it may have to do with the level of charge in it when you plug it in, and the usage while it's charging. I've definitely run out of battery whole the phone is plugged into my computer, but the wall has always worked for me. Think about NetShare: if you're using more power than the phone is charging, you'll run out.

it's due to a safety feature in the iphone. If the components are overheating it will NOT charge to prevent any excessive heat. Since you had already been on the phone for so long (using a lot of energy), your iphone was probably starting to overheat. This is what prevented your iphone from charging!

So it's good that the iphone is safe to not kill itself.. but perhaps they need to work on it's cooling system a little bit..

Betizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Thanks for the responses!

Yes, it is a 3G, I've only had it for a few weeks. I know someone with a 2G and they dont have this problem. My 3G used to charge before while talking and it still does but only when it wants to now so it has completely shutdown on me a couple of times while on the phone.

So if the reason is the overheating and safety mechanism, does this mean there isnt much Apple will be able to do for me or do you think it is a good idea to have them look at it?

Thanks for the responses!

Yes, it is a 3G, I've only had it for a few weeks. I know someone with a 2G and they dont have this problem. My 3G used to charge before while talking and it still does but only when it wants to now so it has completely shutdown on me a couple of times while on the phone.

So if the reason is the overheating and safety mechanism, does this mean there isnt much Apple will be able to do for me or do you think it is a good idea to have them look at it?

I'd say test it out a bit, and see if it appears to be happening after/during a lot of use causing overheating. If this is the case, there is probably nothing apple can do, unless yours excessively overheats. If you think it's being extra sensitive you can always take it in and just tell them what's happening. Depending on who you talk to they might just give you a new one straight up. I've heard stories from people saying that apple was handing out new iphones like candy, but also stories saying that apple was being uptight. It's hit or miss. If you have 2 apple stores in your area you could always try both! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.