Lightroom mass file rename - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:49 PM   #1
SWC
macrumors 6502

Lightroom mass file rename

I was curious if there was a way to rename multiple files within lightroom after import. For example I have a couple of sets that I want to be named the same but were imported seperately.

Currently when I import files into lightroom I name them "location/shootname etc. (x of x)" Because these were imported seperately I will have things like "dredg (1 of 38)" as well as "dredg (1 of 354)" I have tried doing a reimport but the problem with that is when I import all the files at once it doesn't come close to leaving them in chronological order and seems to use whatever order it feels like. I have tried to figure out what order it imports them but I can do the same import multiple times over and get a different order each time so there seems to be no pattern.

I have figured out how to rename the individual files but not all of them at once and with a couple hundred photos per set it would be a very time consumimg process. Any help is appreciaed.

Thanks
SWC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Ruahrc
macrumors 65816

You can do this pretty easy in Lightroom by selecting the files you want, then look under the "Library" menu and choose "rename". The keyboard shortcut for this is F2. You can then specify a new filename and it will rename the files.

As far as importing them out of order, are you sorting by filename? It should be sorting the photos by the shoot date encoded in the EXIF, therefore the pictures should always display in the right order, no matter what the filename is.

Ruahrc
Ruahrc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography