Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I was curious if there was a way to rename multiple files within lightroom after import. For example I have a couple of sets that I want to be named the same but were imported seperately.

Currently when I import files into lightroom I name them "location/shootname etc. (x of x)" Because these were imported seperately I will have things like "dredg (1 of 38)" as well as "dredg (1 of 354)" I have tried doing a reimport but the problem with that is when I import all the files at once it doesn't come close to leaving them in chronological order and seems to use whatever order it feels like. I have tried to figure out what order it imports them but I can do the same import multiple times over and get a different order each time so there seems to be no pattern.

I have figured out how to rename the individual files but not all of them at once and with a couple hundred photos per set it would be a very time consumimg process. Any help is appreciaed.

Thanks

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
You can do this pretty easy in Lightroom by selecting the files you want, then look under the "Library" menu and choose "rename". The keyboard shortcut for this is F2. You can then specify a new filename and it will rename the files.

As far as importing them out of order, are you sorting by filename? It should be sorting the photos by the shoot date encoded in the EXIF, therefore the pictures should always display in the right order, no matter what the filename is.

Ruahrc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.