|Nov 13, 2008, 07:43 PM||#1|
Brand new ATV user looking for tips/hints..
Just got it set up and so far so good. My configuration:
-Imac in upstairs office. Latest version of itunes, external drive with 45,000 songs and about 25-30 movies in the itunes format.
-Airport Extreme Router (latest version)
-Apple TV downstairs connected via HDMA to 42" widescreen Plasma tv.
-Right next to the ATV is an Airport Express Base Station.
So I got everything set up and connected the ATV to my network. My utlimate goal is to stream as much as I can and I had no problem viewing/playing things in my itunes library. The movies look great, the music sounded great.
1) Will I pick up any speed by plugging an ethernet cable from the ethernet port on the ATV to the ethernet port on the Airport Express Base Station?
2) Even when not streaming content from my computer, the ATV seemed very slow. I would click to do something and it would take sometimes a few seconds, to up to a minute to act/register. Is that just because it was slow because it was trying to sync.
3)I only got a 40 gig so I'd like to avoid syncing wherever possible and be able to stream as much as I can. Any hints or tips regarding that would be appreciated.
4) If I'm in Itunes on my upstairs computer and I do sync some movies to the ATV from upstairs but then want to delete them, can I do that from upstairs on itunes or do I have to do it on the ATV menu itself?
Anything else anyone can recommend for this set up would be helpful.
|Nov 14, 2008, 11:30 AM||#2|
2. Have you updated the ATV software to the latest version? Previously, the interface was notoriously slow to respond. Since the last update it has gotten a lot better for me, but I still experience the odd delay now and again.
3. You can stream everything but photos if you like. Works like a charm. I put my music, photos, and the movies I watch the most on the ATV, and the rest (the huge majority) gets streamed over my G network.
4. With the exception of rentals (and podcasts, which you can download or play right from the ATV), the ATV is controlled through iTunes. If you want to delete anything from the ATV, you have to do it through iTunes.
|Nov 14, 2008, 02:29 PM||#3|
Choose Sync Computer NOT Shared Computer. Then in iTunes click the AppleTV and choose 'Custom Sync'. In this fashion I put my TV Shows, Music Videos, and Pictures on the ATV hard drive and I stream Movies and Music from my Time Capsule.
|Nov 16, 2008, 09:21 PM||#4|
Issue Streaming Content from Time Capsule
Set up my AppleTV today with the option to stream content from my Itunes library stored on my Time Capsule. I am able to set this up and begin streaming content but the ATV keeps dropping the library and I need to keep enetering in a new password to register with my Itunes library. ANyboday else have this problem?
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Windows tips for new user||T-Bob||MacBook Pro||0||Nov 6, 2013 08:48 PM|
|Galaxy S3 incoming (4S user). What to expect, tips, experiences.||Joeytpg||Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices||8||Oct 4, 2013 05:05 PM|
|New Mac User! Any tips for MacOSX would be appreciated! :D||ashwin4||MacBook Air||20||Aug 19, 2013 02:13 PM|
|Used G5 Mac - I am a brand new user...||iceman01||PowerPC Macs||73||Dec 10, 2012 12:31 PM|
|Any Tips For New Macbook Pro User?||Lynn Belvedere||MacBook Pro||5||Jul 28, 2012 04:03 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.