Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys,

Just wanted to catch your opinions on this one. I have a MBP classic refurb that is still in it's initial year of apple care. I desperately need space to put my media on the hdd instead of having an external tethering my MBP all the time. What do you guys think? Risk warranty issues for a larger MBP? I used to be a repair tech for asus so I am not scared of opening up the mbp and am fairly confident I can do it without any signs of opening.

Advice much appreciated! I would be upgrading to a 320gb (if that is even possible).

Kirbdog

macrumors regular
Do it, it will take you about 10 minutes. You can check out the process at iFixit.com under guides. As for voiding your warranty, I wouldn't worry about until you have to cross that path.

I swapped out the HHD on my refurbished MBP the day I received it.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
As kirbdog just said do it, get yourself an enclosure download say superduper clone over OS X to the external & swap them over, as for voiding your warranty simple trick replace with original drive should you ever need to take it in for repair or screw something up in the process of the swap

As for the 320GB yes thats possible or you could go even bigger what with 500GB drives available now try the samsung m6,just make sure whatever you chose is 2.5mm & 9.5mm thick with a SATA connection

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
haha you guys give me such courage!

I seriously think I will, and you are right. I can just swap it back. I just worry that if something happens down the line and they see I opened her up, they won't honor the repair.

That aside...wow 500gb...I can't even imagine. Will 500gbs work in my 2.15ghz C2D though?

Can't wait. Going to give my MBP a little lift.

Halsey12

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2006
Portland
A Genius told me numerous times that as long as I did not break anything during installation, I would be fine.

I ended up taking my old iMac with a replaced hard drive in for a new logic board via Apple Care at the Apple Store, and not a word was ever spoken of it.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Save the old drive, and swap it back in if you're mailing it back to Apple, just to be on the safe side. From reading over the warranty, it appears that while technically you should be fine unless you break something, it also appears that technically Apple might be able to refuse service if they chose to because of a hard drive that's been added.

Of course, if this is a new MBP, that's really not an issue at all, in which case I'd go for it (but then you likely wouldn't be doing that unless you were going to put in an SSD anyways).

jW

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i did it on my 2 weeks old MBP. if you're careful then there is no problem. keep the old drive and put it back in in case you need to send it in for a repair.

just make sure you have a Torx T6 screw driver! if not a steak knive will do.

i put in a 320GB seagate momentus 7200rpm. it is fast but you feel a much stronger vibration than from the original 5400rpm HD.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Great advice guys!

I am really looking forward to running boot camp but I can't wrap my mind around how to get this done. I have CCC and time machine back ups, so I guess I could remove hdd, do a fresh install with boot camp splitting the drives...plug in my old hdd and clone the external over to the new partition in the MBP. Would that work?

I am looking forward to running XP and Leopard, since my school won't let me do certain things with OSX. Also, One Note is a lifesaver.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Great advice guys!

I am really looking forward to running boot camp but I can't wrap my mind around how to get this done. I have CCC and time machine back ups, so I guess I could remove hdd, do a fresh install with boot camp splitting the drives...plug in my old hdd and clone the external over to the new partition in the MBP. Would that work?

I am looking forward to running XP and Leopard, since my school won't let me do certain things with OSX. Also, One Note is a lifesaver.

You don't need to do a freash install of OS X. The Boot Camp tool will dynamically repartition your drive. So your steps are:

1. CCC original mac drive to a backup drive (it sounds like you have an external driver for this already).

2. Install new hard drive

3. Boot to the external drive (have it plugged in by USB or Firewire when you start up the machine.

4. Format the new drive as one partition

5. CCC from backup to the new internal drive.

6. Reboot--this time to the new internal drive.

7. Run the Boot Camp tool to install XP. At the first step you choose how large a boot camp partition to make. You should have plenty of space now that you have your new, larger drive in there. Make sure you make the Windows partition big enough because it's a pain to change its size later. (Last I checked, you'd have to recreate it).

Some variants:

You could skip step 1, if you have an external enclosure you can put your existing hard drive in to, but I always like extra backups when doing this kind of thing.

By the way, I've done this operation, too, and all you really need is an appropriate screw driver and work space and patience. Use an egg carton or ice cube tray to keep track of the screws--makes it easy to put the right screws back in the right places. Just keep it out of reach of your elbow.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Some variants:

You could skip step 1, if you have an external enclosure you can put your existing hard drive in to, but I always like extra backups when doing this kind of thing.

By the way, I've done this operation, too, and all you really need is an appropriate screw driver and work space and patience. Use an egg carton or ice cube tray to keep track of the screws--makes it easy to put the right screws back in the right places. Just keep it out of reach of your elbow.

Thank you so much for this guide!! I read up a little more on boot camp and found out about the dynamic partitioning. So much easier than the PC way.

I have an external with time machine on it that has the most up to date version of my hdd. So I am thinking..

1. Install new hdd.
2. Install Leopard in one partition.
3. Run boot camp.
4. Back up from Time Machine?

I mainly want to regain all my programs, which is why I went with CCC. From reading the forums, it is said that Time Machine would restore your programs as well.

As for the process - haha thanks for the tidbits! I did notebook warranty repair for Asus for years - so hopefully my experience will make things run smoothly. Newly converted Mac addict here.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Oh and I am looking at this drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280

320gb 7200rpm 16mb cache. or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152114

samsung m6 500gb 5400rpm 8mb cache

The samsung m6 is just 30 dollars more and I am slightly torn. I plan on using my MBP as a total media center so bigger the hdd the better. However, I am not fond of noise or added heat (the Ati X1300 card is hot enough); and I like the idea of a speedier drive since my computer is on the lower MBP end relatively (2.16ghz 3gb RAM). I have 200gb of music and movies and plan on collecting more.

What do you guys think?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Oh and I am looking at this drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280

320gb 7200rpm 16mb cache. or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152114

samsung m6 500gb 5400rpm 8mb cache

The samsung m6 is just 30 dollars more and I am slightly torn. I plan on using my MBP as a total media center so bigger the hdd the better. However, I am not fond of noise or added heat (the Ati X1300 card is hot enough); and I like the idea of a speedier drive since my computer is on the lower MBP end relatively (2.16ghz 3gb RAM). I have 200gb of music and movies and plan on collecting more.

What do you guys think?

I think the 16MB of Cache is a better drive and will be faster in most instances. But, if you really need the space then buy the other as most of the time it's not really necessary to be 5ms faster.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Just as an update..I ordered the 320gb 7200rpm on Newegg for $99 along with another 2gb stick of ram (going to hit 3gb of ram with my C2d MBP). I think these are reasonable upgrades (500 is a bit overkill as well as 4gb when my computer won't even recognize it). Now I am going to have a solid serious machine with enough room and speed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.