Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keith partridge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Hi everyone,
Im fairly new to macs but own my own Mini mac and have just been given an iBook G3 500mHz, 128Mb, 10GB HDD laptop.

I dont know any history of the laptop or what OS it had installed and I have no worries about deleting the files on the hard drive.

I booted the iBook up and all that appears is a flashing folder with the mac face and a question mark on it and then a separate floppy disc with a flashing questions mark. I dont hear a chime unless I boot up after I've cleared the VRAM etc.

I would quite like to ressurect this laptop for basic internet use and wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what the problem might be.

I have tried all the fixes such as clearing the various RAM settings and attempted to boot both a Tiger installation DVD and a burnt bootable OS 9 CD with no avail. It doesn't seem to want to boot from my drive.

I also hooked up the mac viaa firewire to my mini mac in an attempt to install the OS from there..this didn't work so i decided to wipe the drive...and this stalled halfway through in disk utility.

I am more than happy to buy replacement parts but before i spend 40 quid on a new HDD I would like to make sure thats its not something drastic like the logic board.

Does anyone have any tips that I can sit down and try?

Any help would be greatfully appreciated, I'd love to get this machine working again!

Thanks

Keith

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.