Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Nov 14, 2008, 02:31 PM   #1
fenrus110
macrumors regular

Is it okay to rely on the didReceiveMemoryWarning function?

My program is like the Page Control sample, except a lot more complicated. So as more and more pages are added, obviously it will run out of memory.

Now I did implement the didReceiveMemoryWarning, and my program doesn't seem to crash no matter how many pages I add.

I'm just wondering if it is okay, (or Apple think it is okay), to be relying on doing this. Should I be releasing the views on the fly instead, so that the didReceiveMemoryWarning never gets close to being called?
fenrus110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:25 PM   #2
dean1012
macrumors regular

Don't hold memory longer than you need to on any device (not even on a computer).

With that said, didReceiveMemoryWarning is a very nice function and you should utilize it. In my app, Nexus Reference, I use it as a method of releasing data from memory that hasn't been viewed in a while.

Facetime / Messages: dean1012@gmail.com
dean1012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 03:09 AM   #3
caveman_uk

The iPhone is rather short of memory and it's better to avoid your memory footprint getting large in the first place. Obviously you have to play this against the performance costs of not caching data etc...
caveman_uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 01:10 PM   #4
gholias
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrus110 View Post
My program is like the Page Control sample, except a lot more complicated. So as more and more pages are added, obviously it will run out of memory.

Now I did implement the didReceiveMemoryWarning, and my program doesn't seem to crash no matter how many pages I add.

I'm just wondering if it is okay, (or Apple think it is okay), to be relying on doing this. Should I be releasing the views on the fly instead, so that the didReceiveMemoryWarning never gets close to being called?

Hey fenrus110

Did you find a solution for this problem? Im having the exactly same issue

any idea about how to avoid the memory leak issuw with the pagecontrol sample?
gholias is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming