Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Albion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Hi Guys

currently tagging my Handbraked DVD's and I'm adding artwork, where possible original movie posters. I mainly obtain these from sources on the web and simply copy and paste into the artwork tab in iTunes (get info) or into Metax.

I'm finding however that sometimes my posters have a square white background and other times they don't. Obviously must have something to do with the size of the original file I'm guessing. Assuming I can adjust the original file to suit, what dimensions should it be to lose the white background?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
The hi-res artwork on iTunes-purchased movies is 667x1000, so that's what I generally shoot for. Metax usually gets about 339x550 or so (IIRC) so I try to get the artwork myself where possible (or make it myself if I can't find it online) ... To avoid those annoying white edges, try pasting the image into Photoshop and cropping them out. I believe Metax also does basic cropping too, if you click the magnifying glass. ;)

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Me too. I love that all of the posters are 1000x1500 and there are often multiple versions for the same film.

I use all the above sources having them opened in tabs and just try and find the highest rez best looking art. I then copy it into MetaX.

One question I have is what's the advantage of using the 1000x1500 art? Using XBMC I don't see anything which needs that high of resolution and my concern is it may in fact slow down the display. I've heard X-Box users have to knock down the artwork because of speed and memory issues and I'm thinking the same may be in store for me with the ATV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.