Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:15 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

UK Downloads outsell 12-inch, seven-inch and DVD singles

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: UK Downloads outsell 12-inch, seven-inch and DVD singles

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by arn
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:43 AM   #2
billyboy
macrumors 65816

Well there you have it, one of iTMS major UK competitors, Coke, sold a grand total of 50,000 in its first week. Scary. Either they are doing something wrong, or there is no market for downloads in the UK, or Coke isnt a competitor.

Ding, I just realised, Coke dont know what they are doing, because the whole point of the article is that dls in the UK are popular and are outstripping sales of 12 inch, 7 inch and dvd singles.

So who is selling most dls in the UK?
billyboy is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:01 AM   #3
Photorun
Banned

Apple needs to just say screw doing an entire Europe iTunes release and focus on just getting individual countries that don't have some arcane stupid laws preventing them from getting up and running going. This is BS, iTunes in select Europe countries now.

BTW: Coke sucks, product and music store.
Photorun is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2004, 12:19 PM   #4
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by Photorun
Apple needs to just say screw doing an entire Europe iTunes release and focus on just getting individual countries that don't have some arcane stupid laws preventing them from getting up and running going. This is BS, iTunes in select Europe countries now.

BTW: Coke sucks, product and music store.
I agree. I wonder in which European countries it would have been possible by now...
Old Feb 11, 2004, 03:01 PM   #5
jettredmont
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally posted by billyboy
Well there you have it, one of iTMS major UK competitors, Coke, sold a grand total of 50,000 in its first week. Scary. Either they are doing something wrong, or there is no market for downloads in the UK, or Coke isnt a competitor.

Ding, I just realised, Coke dont know what they are doing, because the whole point of the article is that dls in the UK are popular and are outstripping sales of 12 inch, 7 inch and dvd singles.

So who is selling most dls in the UK?
Ummm ...

1) UK is a small market. 50,000 in that market is pretty big. This means the "Coke Music Formula" is viable (which, of course, we already knew since it's pretty much a rough copy of the "iTunes Music Store formula" except with a little extra artificial caramel coloring).

2) Coke is the biggest-name distributor there that I know of. Of course, they're nothing more than an "OD2" front. I suspect that something like 140k of that 150k total downloads went to OD2.

Still, didn't Apple outsell CD singles their first week on Mac-only? I mean, outselling DVD singles? Isn't that kind of like outselling 8-tracks?
jettredmont is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2004, 03:17 PM   #6
mrsebastian
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mrsebastian
doesn't sound all that exciting as far competition to itms (if it ever gets there). what's interesting, is that it proves the business model for music downloads works. especially for those times when it's not worth buying a whole album.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 04:37 AM   #7
Sabenth
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Sabenth Send a message via Yahoo to Sabenth
Whats holding this up again dont see why everyone else has got the go ahead yet iTunes is stuck in limbo...

Good to see that people are doing this legit though

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion