Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devriesp12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Good Afternoon-

ATV newb here - obvious by the title ;)

Just got my 40 gb ATV hooked up. I successfully completed the first sync with my iMac iTunes library (Auto sync - all music, tv shows, movies, podcasts, and a few albums from iPhoto).

I then went into ATV Settings to set up Sharing (my media library is right around 31 gb) in case I ran out of room on the ATV.

I went into Settings, Computers, Sharing to set up the link to stream iTunes to the ATV. I received the code, went back to my iMac and opened iTunes. When I selected the ATV as the device, I didn't see anywhere to enter the code provided by the ATV to set up streaming. Am I missing something? I couldn't find anything in iTunes preferences (other than turning on sharing on my network).

Where do I enter the passcode for streaming iTunes to my ATV? If all of my media is on both iMac and ATV, is streaming/sharing disabled?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
just got mine set up a few days ago myself. And I ran into the same exact thing last night. With that said, I have no input but would be interested in a solution.

Have you installed Boxee? I can stream video from just about anywhere on my network. Took less than 15 minutes to install and maybe an hour to set it up and run through all the different options.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I don't use AutoSync.

I think you need to use Custom Sync.

1. Click on your AppleTV in iTunes.

2. Go to Summary Page

3. Click on Custom Sync

4. Uncheck the "Show only the synced items ...."

5. Go to each tab and select what you want to Sync. The rest is streamed (except pictures which is always synced - i think).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.