Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 15, 2008, 04:33 PM   #1
MVApple
macrumors 6502a

How do you select multiple items in OS X?

In windows I can use the control key+select and shift+select to select items say, 5-15 or select multiple individual files.

In OS X shift+select and cmd+select do the same thing. They let me choose multiple individual files but I can't figure out how to choose a series of files like choosing 5-15. I realize I can drag my mouse over it and click a few files I don't want with shift+select but it's just annoying me that I can't find the command for what I want to do.

From the search I did I got the impression that shift+select and cmd+select are supposed to do different things but for me the don't. Did I miss something?
MVApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 08:59 PM   #2
zachsilvey
macrumors 6502

change the view to list view and use the shift key
Old Nov 15, 2008, 09:05 PM   #3
bmonster
macrumors member

If you want to select multiple but not consecutive items you press and hold the apple button then click whatever.
bmonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 09:48 PM   #4
sickmacdoc
macrumors 68020

In list view (and in icon mode if "snap to grid" or Arrange by..." are selected anyway) , select a consecutive list of files (as I believe you mean by the 5-15) just holding the shift and clicking the first one in the list you want to select- then press shift and click the last one desired and all in between will be selected automatically.

In any mode selecting any number of non-consecutive files can be done with command+click on each file. Command+click on a file a second time if you find you want to remove it from the selected files.
sickmacdoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 09:51 PM   #5
MVApple
macrumors 6502a

ahhh I was not aware that you had to be in list view, that's what was throwing me off <---windows user

Thankyou.
MVApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 09:51 PM   #6
motulist
macrumors 68040

Also, if the files you want are all next to each other, than you can simply draw a box around those files. In other words if you want to select files A, B, and C, you just click and hold in the white space anywhere around (but not directly on) the file names, then drag up or down to draw a selection box that will "lasso" all the files inside the box you drew.
motulist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 09:53 PM   #7
motulist
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVApple View Post
ahhh I was not aware that you had to be in list view, that's what was throwing me off <---windows user

Thankyou.
I don't believe you have to be in list view to do most of these, I'm pretty sure that all of these methods work in all the views. (except for shift clicking at the first and last files in a selection, that logically only works in a list.)
motulist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:56 AM   #8
The General
Banned

It works just like in Windows, but instead of CTRL to select or deselect individual items, it's command. You don't have to be in list view to do it. In icon view, you can click and drag to make a selection just like in Windows. In list or column view, you can click and drag to make a selection.

Honestly I'm surprised you hadn't figured it out, there are so many ways to select multiple items in the Finder.
The General is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 08:32 AM   #9
mason.kramer
macrumors 6502

What everyone said. You don't have to be in list view. May I suggest Mac Keyboard Shortcuts to get you up to speed on many other shortcuts available for the mac user? (Though this doesn't qualify as a keyboard shortcut, since it's for use with the mouse. You can also select multiple things by holding down shift and pressing the arrow keys to navigate through most any list)
mason.kramer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X