Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushman1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
I have around $3000 to spend on a new setup and I can't decide if I should get a base mba with an imac or a tricked out 15" mbp. I want to be mobile but I also need power the mbp is so heavy is you have to cary it around for a whole day. I rely want to wait to Mac World 09 but my 02 powerbook is a piece of ****. I posted this in the mba section and only got answers saying get an air(of course who else would go there), so I wanted to get an opposing view point.
A lot of people wanted to know what I did... I do a lot of media and internet, also some photoshop. My biggest concerns are if the mba has enough battery to last a day, how long do other people get on their batteries. My second concern is if the iMac will have enough processing power to power my multi-touch table(to be in about 3 weeks, i will post picks.), currently I run it off my PS3 in linux. It has to run video processing at 60fps and drive a projector and other various hardware components. My third thought is to want until macworld because if by the off chance apple make a tablet it would take that 10x over a mba. The mbp is a great computer however it is very heavy and large but gets the power. The macbook is fine but I rely can't use it for any of my tasks. The biggest concern about the air I have is if i will ever move it off my desk, I might take it to school a few times but I don't know if I rely will take it.

Any input is great>

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
You seem to be all over the place in what you want. I was kind of with you until you said you didn't know if you'd ever take the MBA out with you??? I have a PowerMac Dual G5 that I use for just about everything and a work supplied Lenovo laptop, as well as another XP custom machine that I've migrated most things off of. I'm just about to buy a MBP to replace everything. To me, the simplicity of a single machine is where its at. I run off a 30" LCD in the office, so that would rule out an iMac for me. I guess you are going to get a bunch of replies here that you should get a MBP... and in the MBA forum they will tell you to get a MBA. :)

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Not to be rude, but your post seems almost like a joke.

If you don't plan on bringing your laptop with you very often at all (once in awhile to school), then why even get a laptop, let alone a macbook air? And if a macbook air can do what you want, why can't a macbook handle it? I would say go for the macbook pro anyhow, because it is the best fusion of power and portability, but be realistic with yourself: don't buy a laptop if you don't need a laptop. And especially, don't buy a MBA if you rarely plan to bring it out with you.

I owned a MBA for a week. I found it to be underpowered in a lot of tasks that my MBP could handle without problems.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Since you're thinking laptop and possibly iMac, how about MB (for reasons others have mentioned) and an external monitor, keyboard and mouse. Seems within your budget. Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.