Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:41 AM   #1
925AS
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to 925AS
How to enable a disabled iPhone?

I found an iPhone and no one claimed it nor could I call anyone as they had a lock on the phone. It has been 2 1/2 weeks and I have decided to keep the iPhone, but I want to use it as an iPod touch as I already have an iPhone.

When the phone is on the screen states the iPhone is disabled.

When I connect the phone to iTunes I get the following message:

"iTunes could not connect to the iPhone "iphone" because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPhone before it can be used with iTunes."

Any help or advice on how I can enable the phone would be great.

Thanks,
Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:48 AM   #2
fireshot91
macrumors 601

try putting it in DFU mode and then trying a restore?
fireshot91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 12:21 PM   #3
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Also, the new 3G's have a 10 passcode failure program that automatically wipes the iPhone clean. Definitely go with the DFU restore and you should be fine. Lost or stolen iPhones are so difficult to find the actual owners, but maybe an ad in the paper would help...
Old Nov 16, 2008, 12:37 PM   #4
925AS
macrumors member

Thanks.

I don't know why I didn't even think about putting it in DFU mode earlier.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Benjic
macrumors regular

make sure that the IMEI isnt blacklisted
Old Nov 16, 2008, 08:50 PM   #6
925AS
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjic View Post
make sure that the IMEI isnt blacklisted
Would that matter if I don't plan on using it as a phone?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 03:12 AM   #7
Dr. Cabrera
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Cabrera
ummm how hard did you try to find the owner of the phone..

have you tried putting the sim card into your phone to see if there are any numbers on it ?
Dr. Cabrera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:47 AM   #8
richardjaja
macrumors newbie

Hey

sorry i dont know whats the DFU mode could someone please tell me what it is?

Thank you very much
richardjaja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 05:04 PM   #9
B737
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cabrera View Post
ummm how hard did you try to find the owner of the phone..

have you tried putting the sim card into your phone to see if there are any numbers on it ?
I totally agree.
Ive returned several phones ive found laying around mass transit places, its pretty easy. call mom/dad/me ect....

it is this reason removed the pass-code from my iphone. I felt that i may have a better chance re uniting with my phone if the person could call one of my contacts/favorites/recents. its risky, but its based on the principle people will do the right thing...

who knows....
B737 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 06:18 AM   #10
Moi un Mouton
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardjaja View Post
sorry i dont know whats the DFU mode could someone please tell me what it is?

Thank you very much
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofpinyGlQ8I
Moi un Mouton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:12 AM   #11
anderslj
macrumors newbie

Hey

I'm in the same position as 925AS, I found a 3GS on vacation last summer, and I have tried to open it up to look for an owner. The owner had put a passcode on it so I haven't been able to open it up. Now it has been almost a year, so I figured I'd try to just make it my own. It's disabled and I've tried to put it in DFU mode, but iTunes is not recognizing the phone at all. Any suggestions? Thank you
anderslj is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:31 AM   #12
dudeabiding
macrumors 6502

You know, if you find stolen or lost property, you really have an obligation to turn it in to the police. They will hold it for six months, and then, if it is unclaimed, they will return it to you. Then it is yours legally.

If you just keep it, it's as if you have stolen property in your possession and THAT, my little children, is a crime. There is a serial number in a phone, and it is linked to a purchaser. You DFU and restore it is, to a degree, trying to hide the fact you have stolen property, "found" or not. Contact Apple, contact the police. Let them find the owner.

I keep reading these stories here, and my first thought always is, you little thieves. Finding a $20 bill in the street, it's yours. Finding property in the street, you better turn it in, or you can find yourself facing charges.

My first phone came to me that way- found it at a bus stop, turned it in, they called and asked if I wanted it, went to pick it up, and it was legally mine.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:37 AM   #13
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderslj View Post
I'm in the same position as 925AS, I found a 3GS on vacation last summer, and I have tried to open it up to look for an owner. The owner had put a passcode on it so I haven't been able to open it up. Now it has been almost a year, so I figured I'd try to just make it my own. It's disabled and I've tried to put it in DFU mode, but iTunes is not recognizing the phone at all. Any suggestions? Thank you
Why does it make a difference that it's been a year? You didn't do the right thing and hand it in when you found it. Time is only relevant if it was left with the police where the owner can find it, by the sound of it you took it out of the country, how the hell is the owner meant to find it then? Claiming it as your own now is just as immoral as when you found it (from your story, anyway).
Old Jul 31, 2011, 06:59 PM   #14
raythepa
macrumors member

similar question:

my daughters phone was stolen, I immediately notified Verizon and disabled the phone. my daughter tells me today that a friend of hers tried to contact the old phone using facetime. someone answered on the other end but then my daughters friend hung up.

If the phone is blacklisted and can't be used as a phone can it still be used for things like facetime?
raythepa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:05 PM   #15
coochiekuta
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by raythepa View Post
similar question:

my daughters phone was stolen, I immediately notified Verizon and disabled the phone. my daughter tells me today that a friend of hers tried to contact the old phone using facetime. someone answered on the other end but then my daughters friend hung up.

If the phone is blacklisted and can't be used as a phone can it still be used for things like facetime?
of course. verizon doesnt control wifi of whomever has the phone.
coochiekuta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:22 PM   #16
raythepa
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coochiekuta View Post
of course. verizon doesnt control wifi of whomever has the phone.
so i guess if i wanted i could use the iMac FaceTime app, somehow record the call as to who answers and then forward to the police where the robbery was reported or yes I could let it go which is essentially what I had done until I heard my daughters story today.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:30 PM   #17
coochiekuta
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by raythepa View Post
so i guess if i wanted i could use the iMac FaceTime app, somehow record the call as to who answers and then forward to the police where the robbery was reported or yes I could let it go which is essentially what I had done until I heard my daughters story today.
dont know where that would get you but sure try it. i dont use facetime so i dont know if it has location services on it or not. if it does, it would be interesting if it reported the location.
coochiekuta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 07:47 PM   #18
raythepa
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coochiekuta View Post
it would be interesting if it reported the location.
I spoke with tech support today (as I have AppleCare for the nonexistent phone). The thief can use the phone as a wifi device and if I got them on a FaceTime call there would be no record of the receivers IP address. However, if I can get a screen capture of the person who answers I could submit that as part of my police report.

Also, they would also refund me a portion of the AppleCare fee.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks