Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techTeach2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
I am buying 20 new iMac computers but I want to run OS Tiger 10.4.11 on my new iMac Intel Core 2 Duo... Would their be an issue? We do have known issues using the new Leopard OS

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There's unfortunately no officially sanctioned way, of which I'm aware, to run OS X of a previous generation on new Macs. This has always been (to me) a sticking point with Mac viability in managed environments. AFAIK, the discs will refuse to install onto that Mac (presuming this is a new black/aluminum C2D iMac with Leopard pre-installed).

I don't know if there are any unofficial ways, such as taking a cue off the osx86 kind of hacks, to do it....

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
What problems do you have with Leopard? Tiger is not available as a retail Intel pack, only for PPC Macs.

Besides, as mkrishnan points out, new Macs tend to only boot in the OS they're supplied with or higher.

Beaten to the punch. Read this thread.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What problems do you have with Leopard?

I'm not saying the OP has a valid need for Tiger, but I do sympathize... Suppose that I were an IT manager responsible for 5,000 or 8,000 seats, and so as it follows, I probably buy a few dozen new computers every week, and I manage (or my team does) the installed software, updates, etc, on all of them.

If Apple were to tell me that, today, on xx/xx/2008, I will now be running Leopard on all my new computers whether I like it or not, and I have zero grace to continue getting and using Tiger (or SL vs. Leopard or whatever), and my options are essentially to ... temporarily stop buying computers (not feasible), upgrade all my old computers immediately to the new OS so I have a uniform fleet (probably also not feasible), or else manage a mixed fleet, I would understandably not tolerate this.

In the Windows world, it's still routine to re-image these computers back to XP or sometimes even Win2k, because my job is to keep a bunch of office workers, most of whom don't really need the latest software, able to work efficiently. Of course Leopard is better than Tiger, and of course by this point, it's become quite stable and most of the compatibility issues have been resolved. But I think my efficiency concerns are not completely irrelevant.

But this is exactly what Apple says.

/rant ... sorry.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
^ I was just asking the OP out of curiosity. :D

Wondering whether there was a solution to their problems. Not causing any fuss. :eek:

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
You won't even get to the install process if you try. Just out of curiosity, I tried to boot a new mac pro off an external drive that had a Tiger image on it. The drive appeared as bootable, but as soon as you attempted to boot off it, it just restarted, didn't even see a screen or get a warning message.

However, I can sympathize with your plight. Were I work we are just rolling out the mac pros we bought in January. Our dev team is small and usually devoted to more pressing issues, it wasn't until recently that we really had some time to work on making sure our apps ran on Leopard. We really wanted to replace our G5s with Tiger Intel mac pros, but in order to do that we would have had to buy old equipment, not a good move.

I really REALLY do wish Apple would allow users to install older OSs on newer hardware. Would do wonders for them in the enterprise world....

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Take an older machine (must be an Intel Mac) that is running Tiger, boot it from its restore CD, then install Tiger from the Restore CD onto an external hard drive. After that you can boot the external install of Tiger on any Intel Mac (including the new ones), simply install Carbon Copy Cloner and clone the Tiger install from the external drive to the internal drive.

The only issue with this is you're going to want to use 2 of the same computers (iMac and iMac, or Mini and Mini, or Mac Pro and Mac Pro) to help eliminate driver issues. Unless the restore CD installations of OS X include drivers for all Apple hard ware... (I don't know if they do or not, I assume they only have drivers for the Mac they came with... anyone know?)

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
The only way you'll get around it is if you find some clearance or refurb models from the previous generation. They'll run Tiger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.