Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
Hi
I have just decided to get apple TV as I have just purchased an HD camcorder and want a way of showing these home movies through my TV (I currently connect my macbook to the tv to show photos and play music through my speaker system I also watch a lot of TV online).

I am aware of what the system can do currently and what capacity I think I will need (160GB should be enough).

I read somewhere else that there might possibly be updates out in January. My questions are (and I appreciate folk might not know for definite):

Is an update likely in January?

and

Based on what I want to do with it (show home movies, photos and play itunes) what might an update have that would be of interest to the users?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'm certainly getting one, but I'm waiting for Apple to implement all of the kick-awesome DVR patents they have.

An Apple TV with the features it has now PLUS those of a Slingbox is what will probably be the next update.

And if anything happens, it will be at MacWorld.

Here's how I see it:

Either a merging of the Mac Mini and Apple TV (adding DVR stuff)

or they stay separate, both are slightly updated, and no DVR stuff.

But at MacWorld, for sure. Unless they do what they always do and don't update.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Here's how I see it:

Either a merging of the Mac Mini and Apple TV (adding DVR stuff)

or they stay separate, both are slightly updated, and no DVR stuff.

TS, I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I'd like to hear your reasoning behind this. What makes you think the DVR capabilities are contingent upon the AppleTV getting merged with the Mini?

My interest is this: it's occurred to me this weekend that I really should think more seriously about getting a DVR for the bedroom. As I generally like Apple products, I likely would become an AppleTV user if they did add a DVR (I currently am a very satisfied Tivo user, so Apple would have to do this right).

OTOH, I'm also using a Mini, and am hoping for an upgrade for my computer. So, I hope they keep the lines separate, because I want Apple to focus on the computers and not try to charge me a Mini price for an AppleTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.