Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allymmpink

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Hey everyone.
I have recently got my dad's 1TB Maxtor external hard drive, because it crashed his windows. (I always told him to get a mac anyway).
So - it's plugged in.
Registering with the computer as an ejectable device.
But it is 'Read Only'
How can I make it so I can actually use it and put files on it?
ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS!
Ally.
:apple:

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Hey everyone.
I have recently got my dad's 1TB Maxtor external hard drive, because it crashed his windows. (I always told him to get a mac anyway).
So - it's plugged in.
Registering with the computer as an ejectable device.
But it is 'Read Only'
How can I make it so I can actually use it and put files on it?
ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS!
Ally.
:apple:

It's probably NTFS file format, you'd have to reformat it for FAT32

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
It's probably formatted NTFS, which means you cannot write to it without special drivers.

Best to reformat it. FAT32 or HFS will do.

allymmpink

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
sorry - this may be a really stupid question...
but how do i reformat it?
i am new with externals.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
It crashed windows?

Did he install the maxtor software?

I have a 300GB maxtor, and when I uninstalled it's program from OS X, it would dismount itself after a while, at random. This would crash OS X, making it reboot on me.

I thought it was broken, but I re-installed the sync software that I never use, and It's worked fine ever since. I don't like it's one touch button because it messed up my iTunes pretty bad.

misterredman

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2007
You have to erase the drive and format it to HFS+ (for mac only) or FAT (if you want to use it with both). Open Disk Utility and format it (you will lose all your data on that drive!).
I guess your drive is currently formatted with NTFS, which is read-only on OS-X. Another solution is to get a third party utility like MacFuse that will make OS.X read and write to NTFS (no need to format, so you will not lose your current data on the drive).

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.